IE constant pop-ips - Aeiiiiiiii

Hi Mak,

I am delighted to report that it's GONE!! I went straight to your registry method since I saw both posts in the same reading. After I backed up my registry I went into safe mode and found three instances. The area you suggested CurrentControlSet was as you specified. My registry also had a ControlSet001 and ControlSet003. I removed all three folders. Then still in safe mode I ran Hijack and it was already gone.

Once back in regular mode I ran Hijack again and it is still gone. I have not had ANY pop-ups today at all!!

I bow to you, and thank you so much!! I also want to kick your butt mister!! I wish you had previously told me any of the information you just wrote to Terry!! I would have listened to you!! It could have saved so much time - for BOTH of us. Maybe others have shunned what you had to say? Sorry if this has happened to you. You are still my hero either way - everything you said to do worked.

To answer an earlier question, my system otherwise is just fine and always was. Here is something I find interesting. Even with the trojans etc, my system has always operated very well. The continuous pop-ups were REALLY annoying but everything continued to work a treat. Maybe I am lucky in this regard? I am curious to know ... what is your choice of browser? and virus protection?

Thanks again for ALL!!!!

Darice

Darice,

Glad it is gone and the pop ups have stopped. It is my fault for not mentioning this stuff to you earlier. I am sorry for that. Some people can be nervous and i can understand that if something goes wrong and they are forced to reinstall that it can be more of a hassle.

That is the major reason why i did not force the issue is because of that fact. I know how hard it is to make regular backups of your files and if it came down to it you did get the unfortunate thing to happen to you i would have hated to of been blamed for it. I was jsut taking the safe router for both of our sake.

Some things like this that you experienced are not that uncommon. You just had a pesky Adware issue. Which forces pop ups all the time but the rest of the PC works great.

My broswer of choice is Opera. I have got it customized to my liking and find it very fast and stable.

Virus protection i have used various ones. Avast, AVG, NOD32 and many more. My personal preference is NOD32. I also would suggest Eset Smart Security as well. Which is a whole security package in one. Has the firewall, antivirus and more in just that one package from Eset which makes NOD32.

I have used Avast free version for a long time with no issues or problems till i found Smart Security. AVG come highly recommended by many people as well.

Again glad it is all sorted now and things are all cleared up. If you have any more issues please stop on by again. I will do my best, as will everyone else, to help you along.

It may be belated but Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

Cheers,
Mak

I am glad to know of this forum, it turned out to be a rewarding time. My files are all backed up to my external and I have a ton of new software to keep my system clean. Excuse me for this - but I hope I do not have to say hi again any time soon!! LOL!

Thanks for the feedback on your software choices. I intend to try Opera, have been curious and heard good things from others in addition to you, Guru. I notice when I click on a link from an outside source (like from my email) IE always opens. Since you are so familiar with Opera, is there a setting in it I can specify for it to open instead of IE?

Warmly,

Darice

Hello,

Yes you can choose the browser of your choice to open.

In Vista this is simple. Go under the Start Menu and right on there is a item called Default Programs. Open that up and setup your Default apps there.

Opera will ask you after it installs and you close it and reopen it the first time if you want it to be your default browser. Firefox will take over as soon as it is installed. IE will give a prompt when you open it after another browser takes its place if you want to set the default browser back to IE.

I jsut select no and click do not show this again. :wink:

Cheers,
Mak

Back