IE7

Hi Ponedonkey, welcome to NST
Uninstall... that's not possible with IE7 in Vista because that is the shipped version of IE with that version of Windows.

You can check add/remove features in control panel under programs but I doubt if it will be available for re-install. Use system restore point to go back to where the problem wasn't present. You could also try upgrading to IE 8 Beta and than uninstall that in control panel to see if it fixes IE7. If that doesn't work a re-install of Windows is required.

Hi Ponedonkey, welcome to NST
Uninstall... that's not possible with IE7 in Vista because that is the shipped version of IE with that version of Windows.

You can check add/remove features in control panel under programs but I doubt if it will be available for re-install. Use system restore point to go back to where the problem wasn't present. You could also try upgrading to IE 8 Beta and than uninstall that in control panel to see if it fixes IE7. If that doesn't work a re-install of Windows is required.
That is what I had meant in regard to the add/ remove features, I had a brain fart and totally forgot what I was typing.
Thank you, I'm kind of the computer guy in school, and I don't know much about Vista.

IE 7 and DEP Crashes. How To Turn Off DEP?

Hello Everyone,
As far as reinstalling IE 7, did your friend try add, remove, windows components in the add remove programs section of the Control Panel? Vista calls it Programs and something.

About a month ago I started getting a DEP error box when using IE 7. IE has closed to protect your computer from Data Execution Errors. I read the Error Details box and went into the System settings. On the DEP screen, you have 2 options. DEP On for All Programs or DEP on for essential Windows Programs only. I tried both options, still DEP errors.

I tried telling Vista to exclude IE from DEP. But still DEP contined to close IE. I got so many DEP Errors, I finally switched to FireFox, which does not even have a DEP TAB in its settings or options. FireFox still gets a few DEP crashes, but not many.

Searching for solutions, the only possible solution I found was to download Easy BCD. Some PC owners had mentioned one could turn off DEP by using BCD. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of BCD. How would I use it to turn off DEP? Is it safe to do so and will this fix my browsers crashing because of DEP being turned on by default.?

I am on a home network, so have a firewall in the router. Also have Windows Live Care Firewall On. All of the browser crashes I get the DEP Error Box on, I am simply reading email , or viewing a web page and using an internal link to go to another part of the web page.

I can not find anyone online, who agrees on what exactly is causing the DEP closing the browsers. Is there some kind of DEP malware or virus? I can not even find a goggle explanation of what DEP is and why it even exists.

I have tried also resetting or restoring the IE to its default settings, no toolbars, etc when you first install IE.

Thanks for any help. Constantly having to reopen IE or FireFox because of crashes to the desktop is driving me crazy. This is the only Vista problem I have had in almost 2 yrs of using Vista. My Hardware is an Vista Desktop HP, with 2 gigs of memory, 320 gig hard drive. Dual AMD cpus. Windows Live Care is my virus checker. I have tried different spyware programs but they all say PC is clean.

Happy 2009
MidiVox

Thats ok! :lol:

Happens to all of us sometimes... :smile:

Addendum:

Hi midivox, welecome to NST and thanks for trying to help...

EasyBCD is a program to compensate for MS's laziness to devlop a graphical tool to manage its bootloader that is used to run Vista and later versions of Windows. It can only be used to configure the bootloader and its entries, and it is a heck a lot easier than using MS's CLI version.

Last edited:
" I can not even find a goggle explanation of what DEP is and why it even exists."
Try here
EasyBCD incorporated a lot of the facilities available at boot in the original Vista Betas, like suppressing the need for signed drivers.
I don't remember whether DEP figured in those options.
Unfortunately, though Guru include the facilities in the GUI, microsoft withdrew the ability to use them in the Retail version.
I'm on WIndows 7 at the moment and haven't put EasyBCD on here yet, so I can't check it.

Last edited:
Back