IE8 Final Today!

Peter, is IE 8 final playing nice with McAfee? I saw on the McAfee forums there were problems with IE 8 RC1 but saw it had been fixed. I'd install it on my system but I don't want to relive the problems I had when IE 7 first came out...

Peter, is IE 8 final playing nice with McAfee? I saw on the McAfee forums there were problems with IE 8 RC1 but saw it had been fixed. I'd install it on my system but I don't want to relive the problems I had when IE 7 first came out...

Hi,

Yes it's fine with McAfee. It was the version just before RC1 that caused all the blank Security Center windows etc. (McAfee's interface uses HTML and actually IS an IE window, albeit internal. Not sure what effect the EU forcing MSFT to omit IE (or switch it off at least) from Windows 7 European versions will have on that. I am told that McAfee developers are aware of that.

I have it installed on both my XP Pro SP3's and my Vista SP1 all of which have McAfee VirusScan, Firewall and SiteAdvisor Plus installed on them.

The only issues I've had since installing IE8 is that it has to be the slowest browser I've ever seen and I see online that MSFT are aware of this and intend to issue patches to address that, plus it messed up my internet desktop favicons, which has been rectified by me.

It isn't meant for Windows 7 by the way, just in case you are thinking of trying. That will keep it's own unique beta version until the next Windows 7 build general release.

Last edited:
Yeah safari on Windows is bad like every other piece of Windows version of apple software.

I think I'll hold off on IE8 than, let them work out the major preformance issues and get it when it goes out through WU.

Well I upgraded. Went out through WU yesterday for those that haven't gotten it yet. I'm kind of yay/nay on it. I have noticed slight improvements in loading pages but nothing too significant. It won't let me put my links bar (now called the favorites bar) up by my menus like ie7 does though, odly enough siteadvisor it'll allow me to *shrugs*

Well at least it hasn't crashed on me yet. Thats what I was most worried about clicking the "install now" button.

Back