IE8 problem in Win7

computechman

Firstly I want to say this forum has solved many issues I have had in the past. So as my firdt time posting I hope someone can help.

I have Win7 Pro x64 installed and all seems to be working perfectly, I n ormally use Firefox as my browser but needed to use IE the other day, when I click on the icon I get the busy icon for a few seconds then everything goes back to normal with no IE. I have tried IE (no add-ons) and get the samething. However I have no peoblem doing windows updates and the IE (64-bit) works fine. I hope someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Have you gone into IE 64 Bit and under Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and used the Reset option they have there.

If that doesnt work you can always try the FixIt option available on this page here.

computechman

Thanks for the suggestions Mak, I have tried both and still no change. Are there any other ideas or am I looking at needing to do a reinstall ...:| please say I am missing something...LOL

computechman

"RESOLVED" IE8 problem in Win7

Again Mak 2.0 thank yo for the suggestions, I went back and tried them a couple of more times just to be sure but with no joy.

Not having done it before in Win 7, I tried the in place upgrade to repair the system. Much to my suprize it went very well and now I have my system running even better than when I built it.

I have to say that once again it convinces me that its the best version of windows I have used to date. I alsp would like to thank all here @ NeoSmart Tech., as this has been my best online resource for Windows maintenance.

Keep up the good work and I hope that I may have a solution or suggestion for someone in the future.:happy::happy:

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser
Staff member
I'm curious why you would want to use the 64-bit IE in Win 7? The default is 32-bit IE for a good reason, the majority of add-ons wont work on the 64-bit browser. It really is only a novelty at the moment. Both are listed in Start/All Programs.

Mike8

I think the problem is a lot of resellers are selling the 64bit version of win 7 because the manufacturers seem to be pushing it. this should be checked out thoroughly before purchase. The typical sales question you will get from a typical reseller (no names) is what do you want 32bit or 64bit - customer says what is the difference, salesman says 64 bit runs faster! Bad answer, but as you know the majority of salesmen seem 12 year olds to me. M

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser
Staff member
A 64-bit system is theoretically more secure, but the 64-bit browser is only there 'for future use' really so use the 32bit one, take my advice.

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus I'm seeing a lot of browser plugins only work for 32-bit browsers at this time.

computechman

Just as a point of interest, it was the 32-bit version that was not working properly and as a site I use very often only really looks proper, I needed to correct the issue. My primary browser of choice is actually Firefox it dose play nicely with the one site I needed access to, being restricted to my room as I am I just need things to work when needed.

I am sorry if that sounded rude, that was not my intention, please accept my apologies.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
– [FONT=Tempus Sans ITC, sans-serif][FONT=Segoe Script, sans-serif]Arthur C. Clarke[/FONT][/FONT]

mekelly

In Place Upgrade

Just a quick side note confirming the value of the in place upgrade. I had a horrible problem where every time I installed a Windows Update my desktop would go black (other than a white mouse cursor). Tried everything and then finally did an in place upgrade. Fixed the problem and Windows ran great (Win 7 64bit)!

Didn't hurt a thing other than having to reinstall updates.