IIS7 & PHP

toxic chicken

so i'm trying to get php working.

i already copied all the php files from my xp drive.

now i need to configure iis to use php.exe for *.php/*.phtml files.

i know how to do it in iis5, but the iis7 manager confuses me.

so how do i do it, all-knowing computer guru? :tongueout:

edit: i also wasn't sure where to put this, so i just put it here since it's part of vista.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
php.exe?
you're doing it the long and hard way my friend. CGI is not a good road to take, it's insecure, slow, and hard to use.

Better option:
Download the ISAPI IIS module for PHP5: http://de2.php.net/get/php-5.1.4-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror

Extract to C:\PHP5\ and then we'll get to work setting it up as an ISAPI module.

toxic chicken

that was actually the exact same snapshot that i had already. =P

edit: well, i tried to do it myself, but i did something wrong. with iis7, i have no clue what i'm doing, so i'm probably better off just letting you tell me how i'm supposed to do it. :tongueout:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hey Toxic,

I'm really sorry about this delay, I was intending on posting the steps yesterday, but I didn't have any freetime at the office.

I don't know if you noticed, but yesterday we had close to 16 hours of downtime as a result of extreme traffic, and I spent most of the day on the phone negotiating a deal with our hosts that ended up costing us 40 USD more a month, so as you can imagine it was quite a hectic situation.

If you still need any help with PHP/IIS7, let us know...

Would you mind posting the steps that worked for you?

Thanks!

toxic chicken

yeah, i figured it out while the site was down. i'm really tired of that "account suspended" page, three sites i go to have been suspended recently. only one of them was my fault :tongueout: (seriously, i'm not joking). i made davo (the admin there) a new forum site on my server til he gets his back up. it's a long story how we got it suspended.

anyways, this is what i did:
1)added the isapi filter (C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll) under "isapi filters" (who would've guessed?)
2)added the isapi filter (C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll) under "isapi filter restrictions" and allowed it (don't know if i had to but what the hell)
3)went into "handler mappings" and added *.php and *.phtml, both using C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Awesome, thanks for the steps Toxic, they seem quite easy to follow, eh?

If you got those sites suspended by driving too much traffic their way, NeoSmart Technologies needs you :tongueout:

No really, if we're paying 40 extra a month, let's make it worth it :grinning:

toxic chicken

Computer Guru said:
If you got those sites suspended by driving too much traffic their way, NeoSmart Technologies needs you :tongueout:

No really, if we're paying 40 extra a month, let's make it worth it :grinning:
haha, no. it's a pretty long story involving davo's other admin giving me access to the server and me hacking into a website on dotservant. which i don't feel like explaining in detail right now. :tongueout: