I'm not sure if this is the right place to post

BTW, I'm new here. Upon searching everywhere for answers to my dilemma (often hitting dead ends), I've stumbled upon this site (thank GOD!). I'm having issues with my Acer Aspire 4520 notebook. It crashed and the system is irretrievable. I dl'ed and made a Vista recovery cd from here... Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download The NeoSmart Files and then followed these instructions... Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Now, my issue is that I can't get passed step one:rage: Instead of getting the System Recovery Options in step 2, I get directed to a window that says...."Select an operating system to repair and click next." But there's nothing for me to select. So at the bottom of that window it also says, "If you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disk." So I clicked on load drivers, and I got a pop up that says, "Insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver". And silly me, I accidentally clicked on OK, and got the Windows explorer. There are several folders and files to choose from, but I don't want to start randomly picking files. Which is why I'm turning to you guys. What should I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Click next any way though it doesnt list any OSes. You well need to try steps 3/4 for manual recovery.

And welcome to the boards Jules.
Do as Jus says and click "next" even though you've not got a system listed.
If you're lucky, after the repair, you'll see a system next time.
"Next time" because you'll need to boot the CD again and do the repair again for 2 or 3 attempts generally before it manages to fix everything.
Do several of the automatic repair boots before you carry on to the manual repair steps. The auto-repair is very stupid and only fixes one aspect of the boot per pass even when there are several things to fix.
I've never had to get as far as doing manual repairs, the system has always been fixed by multiple iterations of the 1st auto-step.
If after the 1st repair, you still can't see a system listed, there is one other thing to try which might or might not apply to you. Having a second HDD connected can often foil the auto-repair, so disconnect any other HDD temporarily before you attempt the repair. If that makes the system suddenly become visible, do the auto-repair several times, then reconnect the second disk.

Back