In need of some desperate help triple-booting XP, 7, and Ubuntu.

Arnzillazor

First of all, hello everyone. I have Googled for about six hours trying to get this working on my own... all to no avail. So, I'll try to get help.

I have:

Windows XP installed on dev/sda1;

Windows 7 installed on dev/sda2;

Ubuntu 10.4 (ext3 filesystem) installed on dev/sda3

...and last but not least...

A swap-file on dev/sda5.

I followed this guide perfectly (other than using Windows 7 and creating a swap, which I don't think would cause my problem):
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

I installed XP, then 7, and lastly Ubuntu.

Just to be clear, I installed grub into the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition (hd0,3).

After going into EasyBCD 1.7.2 and adding Linux to the boot menu, and restarting...

error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Get EasyBCD 2.0 latest build
1.7 is too old to support W7 or Ubuntu 8.04 onwards
Delete the Linux entry.
Add a new one, select grub2 from the dropdown.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Did you select grub2 and let Easy2 find your Ubuntu ?

Coolname007

After going into EasyBCD 1.7.2 and adding Linux to the boot menu, and restarting...

grub rescue>

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Was this a "Grub4Dos" error or a "Grub" or "Grub2" error?
(It should have said one of those before the error)

Arnzillazor

Code:
Starting cmain()...(hd0,2)
[Multiboot-kludge, loadaddr=0x100000, text-and-data=0x60ac, bss=0x0, entry=0x10027c]

grub rescue>
That's the whole error message.

STRUPPI

Hi Arnzillazor,
I have nearly the same OSs on my PC.
(I have much tested and so it is possible, the written way is not exactly right, I remember only this way)
First installed Win7 (is my MASTER-OS), then EBCD 2.0 (build xxx) and controled the function of EBCD Boot Menu.
Then installed WinXP, started after all updates the Win7 OS and there restored the Win7-MBR + addet a new entry for WinXP + function control of WinXP and Win7.
Then I have installed Ubuntu and after all Linux-Updates and adjusting the Linux Shell come the next step.
My next step with Linuxboot menu was booting to Win7, restore the Win7-MBR and adding the NeoSmart Linux Grub 2 in EBCD, with a marker setting in "Grub isn't installed to MBR/bootsector".
The EBCD creat a Folder like C:\NST and in this Folder is the AutoNeoGrub"X".mbr.
(The "X" is for 0, or for 1, or for 2, or for 3....)
Well, to see here:

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {53c47a73-2e32-11df-a536-f1da61ff9182}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub2.mbr
description NeoSmart Linux Grub 2

The original Linux(Mint now) boot menu is presend, if I choose "boot Linux" and I can jump to Linux, or Win7, or what I will).
The main boot menu is all time my EBCD-Boot-Menu with Win7, WinXP, Emergency HDD booting, or Linux.
Hope, this Infos are helping for you.

Greetings from Germany,
STRUPPI

Last edited: