Index and count must refer to a location within the string.

greg98231

I'm trying to finish installing xp after vista, according to your instructions. In EasyBCD, I cannot Add Entries. When I try to add an entry, I get an error that contains this:System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.Parameter name: countWhere did I go wrong?

EasyBDC Instructions appear incomplete

The instructions copied below need a step between step 3 and step 4, saying to close XP and boot into Vista. Then I installed EasyBCD also into Vista and only then would step 4 work. Now it works real nice. Thanks.

Setting up the Dual-Boot

Once Windows XP setup has finished, it'll automatically boot you into the newly installed copy of Windows XP – note that you will not be able to boot into Vista at this point, nor will you see a boot menu option for it.
  1. Once in Windows XP, download and install the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework.
  2. Download and install the latest version of EasyBCD.
  3. Once in EasyBCD, go to the "Manage Bootloader" page, and select "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" then "Write MBR" to get the Vista bootloader back.
  4. Once that's done, head on to the "Add/Remove Entries" page and select "Windows NT/2k/XP/2003" from the drop-down list, give it a name, then press "Add Entry" to finish.
  5. Reboot.

Addendum:

After installing XP (after Vista) for a dual boot, I couldn't connect to the internet because there were no xp network adapter drivers available in the new xp installation.

I needed to use a different computer to download the manufacturer's XP drivers for the network adaptor, and burn them onto a CD to get them into the new XP installation on the first computer.

Last edited:
If you were dual booting why not boot into Vista to download the drivers then restart into XP and install them? This is one of hte reason why people dual boot. So that when 1 system goes down, you have a back up. :smile:

So from what i gather you got it all working and sorted now? IF so great to hear it.

The instructions copied below need a step between step 3 and step 4, saying to close XP and boot into Vista. Then I installed EasyBCD also into Vista and only then would step 4 work. Now it works real nice. Thanks.

Setting up the Dual-Boot

Once Windows XP setup has finished, it'll automatically boot you into the newly installed copy of Windows XP – note that you will not be able to boot into Vista at this point, nor will you see a boot menu option for it.
  1. Once in Windows XP, download and install the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework.
  2. Download and install the latest version of EasyBCD.
  3. Once in EasyBCD, go to the "Manage Bootloader" page, and select "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" then "Write MBR" to get the Vista bootloader back.
  4. Once that's done, head on to the "Add/Remove Entries" page and select "Windows NT/2k/XP/2003" from the drop-down list, give it a name, then press "Add Entry" to finish.
  5. Reboot.

That shouldn't be the case. You should be able to add the XP entry right then and there from within XP, before booting into Vista.

Reply to Makaveli213:

Yes, I should have thought of that. This is the first time I have tried having 2 systems.

Reply to Computer Guru:

Perhaps it was because I had just installed xp from the new cd, but the cd had been in the store for probably a long time. When I shut xp down later, it did a whole bunch of updates, and the same the next time I shut it down. So, at the time I first tried to use EasyBCD in xp, xp had not been updated at all.

Any way it works great now. Thanks!

Back