Installed Windows XP and 7 - can't start XP

C

CrumudgeonHotDog

Hi

I've set up a new installation and installed Windows 7 first, then XP. At that point I was able to get into XP, but there was no boot loader to get into 7.

I used the Windows 7 disc to repair the installation, then get into 7. I tried to install EasyBCD to get it to access both. It didn't detect XP when I auto-configured. I tried to manually add my own option for XP.

At startup, I can get into 7, but XP fails with the message:

Windows failed to start. ... To fix the problem:

File: \NTLDR

I can't get into XP at all, and can't figure out how to make changes in Windows 7 to get it.

Can anyone help me out?

Be sure to press "Yes" when asked if you want to allow EasyBCD to automatically do everything for you.

I have the exact same problem with the same order of steps (installed Win7, then XP, used Win7 Repair. I then tried EasyBCD 2.0 Build 63, adding an XP entry and letting EasyBCD automatically configure everything. I get the same error message when attempting to load XP.

Thanks for any tips.

I have the exact same problem with the same order of steps (installed Win7, then XP, used Win7 Repair. I then tried EasyBCD 2.0 Build 63, adding an XP entry and letting EasyBCD automatically configure everything. I get the same error message when attempting to load XP.

Thanks for any tips.
Hello naalex, welcome to NST.
Can you check your "system" partition (as seen from Disk Management) to see if the files NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and boot.ini exist in the root? It could be an odd case where the files were not created by EasyBCD for some reason.
You will need to make sure the Folder Options in the Control Panel are set so that its showing hidden files and folders, and the option "hide protected operating system files" is unselected, before you will be able to see those files if they exist.

After some tooling around last night, I got it to work. EasyBCD had automatically detected XP on the same drive as my Win7 installation. In order to get it to work is (and I have no idea if some of these steps are unnecessary):
1) I first assigned a drive letter to the secret Win7 boot partition in order to poke around. EasyBCD had copied NTLDR, NTDETECT to the root of this partition, so I copied these files to the root of my XP partition.
2) In EasyBCD, I modified the settings so that the XP installation entry was pointing to the correct drive where XP had been installed.

Seemed to do the trick...

Can you post a screenshot of your disk management and paste the contents of EasyBCD settings in debug mode.
From what you describe, you've done everything wrong, so if it's working something is strange about your system.

Back