installing new boot drive for W7

mact

Cloned current boot partition to an SSD. The 32-bit win7 (Core2Duo chip) partition on the W7 HDD will be erased once the SSD is booting the system.

I've looked and have not seen a procedure for this with BCD installed and directing the boot between W7 and XP.

Do I let BCD see the SSD and add it to the boot list and then after all starts up fine, delete the other W7 partition from BCD then the HDD?

On my bigger system (without BCD) I simply let the W7 CD repair the new drive and it works fine.

I'm hesitating to use this approach with BCD involved. Or should I kill BCD and do the switch then bring BCD back?

BCD ?
Do you mean EasyBCD or the BCD ?
EasyBCD is just an app for managing the contents of the MS BCD.
Your bigger system, if it's W7, has a BCD whether or not you have EasyBCD installed on it.
EasyBCD is not a boot manager. It just helps you organize the MS bootmgr's data store (the BCD).
If you've cloned W7 to a new SSD with the same software as you used on the previous system, and that needed "startup repair" to fix the cloned BCD, then you'll need to do the same thing for the SSD if you want to use it as the boot device.
Adding an entry to the HDD BCD for the SSD would leave the HDD as "system" and make it irremovable.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings
"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"
Anything marked "system" "boot" or "page file" cannot be removed or formatted, so you need to make sure that the SSD has all those attributes before you can remove the old system. (or, more correctly, that the system you want to remove has none of them)

Back