installing vista w/recovery disc

tom987

Hello, I know this is is not a new question. I want to install my Vista OS on a new hard drive. Original HD had a partion from where I made the recovery DVD. Can I or can't I use the Vista OS I paid for on another hard drive with the recovery disc to install to replace the original HD ? Thanks very much!

Yes.
The new installation will need activation, but it should be automatically validated if the HDD is the only change. (new mobo would be rejected for a pre-installed OEM copy of Windows)

Thanks for your information. I would just like to verify with you that I can use the recovery disc I made from the partition to install the OS on the new HDD? As usual, no other disc came with the computer. The problem I'm having is that I've tried to boot from the recovery disc but the DOS message i receive is "no boot". I have the BIOS set to see the optical disc first. Cany ou help? Thanks

Have another look at the OEM recovery partition utilities and make absolutely sure you've got a bootable facility to do a factory reset, before you proceed.
What you need to do is what the recovery media are designed for. Recreate the entire HDD in factory condition in the event that it explodes.
In your case the original disk isn't actually broken, but what you need to do is exactly the same as if it were.
There should be an option to create bootable disks from the recovery partition as one of the options you're encouraged to exercise when you first buy the PC.

Hello, I made the bootable disc for vista that I found at your web site. My recovery discs did not allow me to boot, but the disc I made did. It started the install. I selected start and got the error message Error Code 0x0070002 D:\sources\install.wim is missing. I couldn't go ant further. I thought it would prompt me to load my recovery disc. I chose the option to proceed without entering the code key and then it said the drivers i needed were missing. I do not understand why I can't use the OS I bought with the computer, unless that is MS's idea-to provide an OS for the computer until the HDD or the MOBO dies. Maybe I paid a nominal fee for the OS that does not include using it beyond the first install. I just don't get it at this point. I started years ago with an IBM 8088 and was always able to load and manipulate software systems up until now. I realize XP and Vista are differnt in the way installs are allowed, but I really wanted to use my paid-for OS on my new HDD. I know I've been a little wordy, but I'm frustrated. Can you fill me in on the story that I am somehow missing? Thaaaaanks.

Our recovery disk is a small sub-set of a Vista installation DVD. It has the same front-end interface (it looks like a Vista DVD - It should do, it's the same MS software), but it has none of the installation files, so the "Install" button has no function at all. You can only use it to fix a broken boot on an OEM PC that only provided a recovery partition and no Vista disc.
Your PC, if I understand you, is still working. You just want to move the contents of your HDD to a new one ?
The OEM recovery partition should enable you to make recovery disks that can recreate your HDD in factory condition should you have a disaster. It follows, that the same facility can be used to recreate the HDD on a new drive even if the old one is still working.
Microsoft won't allow you to use both copies, you only have a licence for one. Validating the new one automatically invalidates the old, and it would be detected as a pirate copy if you were to attempt to use it in another PC, but provided that you're just replacing one with the other there's no legal problem

You need to take a good look at the facilities in your OEM recovery partition. I can't see how they expect you to use factory reset from CD/DVD if it's not bootable.
Did you make it using a built in facility ? or have you just made a manual copy of the contents ?

Thanks. Yes I used the emachines utility: emachines recovery center, to make the recovery DVD disc. As a matter of fact, the utility disables itself after making one copy only. So retrying to make another copy is not possible, (with the exception of a utility I found I can use to re-enable the backup utility). However, the recovery disc won't boot from the DVD drive, and Yes I checked the BIOS. It IS my intention to use the new HDD only and scrap the old, smaller one. Again, I am at a loss to understand why I went through the exercise of making a recovery DVD when it doesn't even boot up? Any help would be appreciated since this route is extremely preferred instead of putting in a new OS and start hunting for all the drivers and settings I would need again. Tom

Have you tried booting the disk on another PC, just to check whether it's your optical drive that's got a problem rather than the DVD.
If you really can't use it, (what the h*ll's the point of giving you a one-time-only facility to make something you can't use anyway !! ? ) then the only other option will be to use a 3rd party partition management app to make a clone of the whole HDD and copy it to the new one.

Last edited:
Thanks again for another couple of great ideas that i've never heard of before. I'll let you know. However, I have the feeling that the idea of this recovery disc is to only recover the C: partition with a fresh copy of the initial install. (Would you pay the $20 to emachines for something I feel I've already paid for?). Also, if you were to pay for another OS, which one would it be? I know it depends on what I need, but I mainly use the internet and possibly trying some work on multi-media controling. Cheers

You can try the cost free option.
Run it straight from the CD ("try Ubuntu without changing your PC" option), which is obviously not the best performance, but you'll get an idea of what you can do. Firefox comes included for Internet access.

hello, I think i want to just go with dual booting using my old win 98 on the second HDD. I tried installing 98 on mt new 500 GB HDD once and got a message that not enough memory ws available. I have 2 GB which is plenty. I thought I've heard that 98 will only work properly with half a GB. Is there any chance of making this happen? thanks

Your best bet is to run it as a virtual system. Others on here with experience of doing that are better placed to advise though.
Windows ME had a 512Mb RAM restriction, so 98 certainly wouldn't be able to handle more.

Addendum:

And don't keep opening new threads asking the same question. It doesn't get seen any quicker, and causes confusion when you get 3 streams of answers to one question.

Addendum:

If you keep opening new threads after I've asked you to stop, you'll not be welcome on these boards much longer.

Last edited:
98 on a 500gb drive? 30gb drives probably didn't exist when it came out...

Yeah VMming is the answer. Check out VirtualBox for it.

What i want to eventually get to is running vista on the 500GB by transferring my Vista OS and all backups via my external 1 TB HDD. Then running 98 on the 160 GB i originally had. I thought I'd try out loading 98 just to see if i had any problems which i did. As i said there was a memory issue. I didn't want to start attempting anything util i could get windows 98 to work. I now realize the driver i need may not even be compatible with 98. Am i on the right track or what do you think is best?
Sorry again for the new threads. I think it was suggested to refer to someone else about this-so do I open a new thread in another forum or is that wrong? Thanks, Tom

thanks again

Addendum:

So I guess what i ned to do is figure out how to install 98 on a 500 GB HDD. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
The idea with virtualization is you use the 500 GB to store something like a 5-10GB virtual disk file. You set this up when you create a new VM. Inside the VM, it appears as the hard disk of the machine which you would than install 98 on.

Windows 98 can not be installed to a 500GB hard drive. It is subject to the 137GB Limit. That was overcome with XP SP2. Windows 98 can not use 500GB at all. Your only option will be to partition the drive to limits that can be seen by Windows 98. Which means that you would have to create multiple partitions less than 137GB in size.

Also note that Windows 98 uses the FAT32 file system. Which can not use any file size over 4GB. So any files that you have that are over that 4GB limit would not be able to be used at all in Windows 98.

Back