Installing Windows XP from HDD?

Barktooth

Hi, I have no USB boot support or a CD/DVD drive so I can't install new operating systems. Or so I thought - until I found EasyBCD, with it I successfully installed Windows 8 along my Windows 7 install. Now I would also like to have XP for some older games, but I'm not sure how I would install it. Thing is, if you extract the Windows 8 installation ISO there is a file called BOOT.WIM which you can specify under WinPE and boot the installation from. But in the Windows XP ISO there is no such thing. I tried booting directly from the ISO but the installation gave me an error almost right away. Is there another way to install XP straight from the HDD?

It's very difficult to install Windows XP from a HDD because it doesn't have the drivers to do so. Easy USB Creator can create a USB for installing Windows XP, but you'll need the USB drivers slip-streamed into the ISO unless it's a very old PC: Download Easy USB Creator - NeoSmart Technologies

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have USB support so I can't use that to install. However, I was wondering, if I install XP in a virtual machine and then image it over to my physical disk, could I make a boot record for it and boot into it?

Back