Installing XP from ISO from Vista

Hi

Is there any way I can use BCDEdit or Neogrub to boot from a XP CD iso and install it on my Laptop with Vista? It doesn't have a CD rom drive or a floppy drive and I cannot run XP setup from Vista.

Thanks in advance

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
No you cant use BCDEdit or NeoGRUB to boot a ISO file. ISO are not bootable. BCDEdit is just to edit the Vista bootlaoder and NeoGRUB is for Linux installs.

Google and downlaod a demo of Alcohol 120% to burn the ISO easily or use Nero to burn the ISO. From there boot from the CD and install.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi proteus, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Install NeoGrub and follow these instructions for GRUB: Neowin Forums Use Lilo or grub to mount and boot from ISO

Syntax is the same for NeoGrub and GRUB.

Addendum:

No you cant use BCDEdit or NeoGRUB to boot a ISO file. ISO are not bootable. BCDEdit is just to edit the Vista bootlaoder and NeoGRUB is for Linux installs.

Google and downlaod a demo of Alcohol 120% to burn the ISO easily or use Nero to burn the ISO. From there boot from the CD and install.
He's saying he doesn't have a CD Drive.

It is possible to boot an ISO with NeoGrub, but it's very convoluted and hackish - and probably won't work :shame:

Last edited:

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
It just seems wierd that a laptop running Vista doesnt have a CD rom. o.0 That has got to be a first for me. Even the $200 laptops i see have a DVD drive.

Aww well hopefully it works.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Same here :wink:

What I meant to say was the CD Rom drive is not working :tongueout:

Anyways, can you point me to some resource where I can some information about using NeoGrub to boot an XP iso. For the curious, MSFT gives an iso as a part of their MSDN AA program and I am using that.

Thanks for the link, but I had earlier googled it and found that it addressed only Linux and would not work in my case as I do not have a kernel to load here.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Thanks for the link. At first it doesn't look like it would work (I have nothing to put in the kernel parameter in the menu.lst) but I will give it a read. Else I have to wait till my new CD ROM Drive comes and I am able to use a CD to install XP!