Intermittent iReboot restart bug on Vista Ultimate


Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if the beta SP1 RC Refresh is to blame, or my messing around with Bitlocker encryption (I doubt it's the latter) but now when I use ireboot in Vista to go to XP, or to just reboot back into Vista it takes a while then just shuts down. But not completely - almost like its hibernating. I say that because my USB hubs remain lit and the HD lights are still on but the monitor is asleep.
I have to flick the reset switch to wake it up and then it boots according to whatever I set in ireboot.
This only happens intermittently so isn't a major problem. Something must be interfering with ireboot.
Interesting, thanks.

iReboot issues this command when it wants to restart the PC:
shutdown -r -t 0

I'd guess the real problem is that Microsoft's own `shutdown` program is having intermittent reboot problems? :\
Windows itself, in Vista anyway, isn't all that good at restarting sometimes. Some days it does it immediately, others it will take ages.
Last edited:
Nothing in the logs, probably just another one of those things... or it's still making its rounds across teh interweb.
I'm sorry: you were right, Peter.

Seems I've found a bug in PHP (it doesn't do DNS lookups right if you have IPv6 Teredo Tunneling enabled) so it wasn't sending out the messages. Hopefully you'll get this one :smile:
I did indeed - thanks.

I'll take your word for that as I haven't the faintest idea what all that means. However I do know that I don't use ipv6. At least I don't think I do.
According to Belarc Advisor that interface is present but when I look at my LAN properties IPv6 isn't active, only IPv4.
Last edited:
Vist ahas IPV6 active by default i thought. From what i remember XP SP3 was supposed to include IPv6 as well.
I think it all depends on what type of connection one is using.
From these pics I would assume that mine is using IPv4 principally.

Yep, that's correct.

The server is Windows 2003; it doesn't have the IPv6 present by default. Installing the IPv6 option caused the PHP error (PHP's fault) removing it caused some downtime (Microsoft's fault). Gah.