Invalid Boot.INI - Dual booting XP and Vista

I've set up the bootloader with EasyBCD. My vista partition is on C drive and my XP partition is on D drive. When I boot the laptop, I get the following message

[FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, ms sans serif, sans-serif]Invalid Boot.ini file [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, ms sans serif, sans-serif]booting from C:\windows[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, ms sans serif, sans-serif]After this message, nothing happens, only black screen is on.[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, ms sans serif, sans-serif]How this can be solved ?![/FONT]

A bit more detail please.
Have you just added XP to a Vista laptop, or vice versa ?
If the former, did you reinstate the Vista boot process ?
Did you add XP to the Vista BCD with auto-configure ?
Is it one or both OSs which fail to boot ?

A bit more detail please.
Have you just added XP to a Vista laptop, or vice versa ?
If the former, did you reinstate the Vista boot process ?
Did you add XP to the Vista BCD with auto-configure ?
Is it one or both OSs which fail to boot ?

No problem Sir.

- Yes, I installed XP over Vista.
- Can't get this
- I added the XP manually and configured it to load from D:/
- Both OSs fail to boot

Thank you

If you added XP to Vista it will have regressed the boot process from Vista's bootmgr, to XP's NTLDR, which cannot boot Vista. XP should have booted OK though.
Did it ever boot successfully when you finished installing it ?
I assume so, since you must have had an OS on which to run EasyBCD.
You should have reinstated the Vista bootmgr at that point like this
Recovering the Windows Bootloader with EasyBCD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
but if you have done something to prevent XP booting too, then you'll need to use your Vista DVD to repair the boot.
Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

When Vista is booting, delete the XP entry you created in the BCD and add it again.
Let EasyBCD auto-configure it, and don't change what it sets up.

If you added XP to Vista it will have regressed the boot process from Vista's bootmgr, to XP's NTLDR, which cannot boot Vista. XP should have booted OK though.
Did it ever boot successfully when you finished installing it ?
I assume so, since you must have had an OS on which to run EasyBCD.
You should have reinstated the Vista bootmgr at that point like this
Recovering the Windows Bootloader with EasyBCD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
but if you have done something to prevent XP booting too, then you'll need to use your Vista DVD to repair the boot.
Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

When Vista is booting, delete the XP entry you created in the BCD and add it again.
Let EasyBCD auto-configure it, and don't change what it sets up.

I've used Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows for Vista and it showed me that I've two partitions, partition got Windows Vista on it and the other got Windows XP.

The vista one was active and the xp one was not. I fixed the boot on the vista one and it told me that it was fixed.

But nothing happened, still the same problem.

Thank you so much Dear Terry60 for helping me out, it worked in the end with the Vista DVD start-up repair option.

Now the laptop is running only "Vista" and as I said before

My vista partition is on C drive and my XP partition is on D drive.

So can you please end this with me with guiding in in a step-by-step guide on how do "successful" dual boot my laptop with Vista and XP

Thank you again, much appreciated.

Back