Ireboot 2 does not work on windows 10

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Staff member
Last edited:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Did you reinstall from the link Peter gave you, or just your previously downloaded version ?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It seems there's more than one thread about this topic right now.

Windows 10 has a new feature that lets you manage startup components. I imagine there's a good chance it's the problem here. Make sure that under "Startup" in the Task Manager, iReboot appears and is enabled (note that that is the default state, it would only flip to disabled or delayed if you manually/inadvertently changed that via right-clicking on it):

iReboot startup status.PNG

glnz

Terry60 - Sorry. Just did from Peter's link and does not work. Is same version as my prior anyway.
Mahmoud - iReboot is listed and Enabled in Startup, as it's always been. iRebootd is running but not iReboot and not the icon in the tray.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, that's just weird. Can you try copying a shortcut to iReboot to your startup folder and seeing if that does the trick? Or creating a task in the task scheduler to start iReboot at login?

glnz

Mahmoud - thanks for ideas - shall try this weekend. Do I need to worry about the sequence of irebootD.exe running first before I start iReboot.exe?

glnz

Mahmoud - Following your suggestions, the only thing that works is to add a task in task scheduler BUT ONLY after I set it both to "Run with highest privileges" and to "Delay task for: 1 minute". (I haven't tried 30 seconds.)

It starts at startup, not login.

By the way, the end result is that BOTH iReboot.exe and iRebootd.exe are running. Hope that's expected.

Thanks.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yes, `iRebootd.exe` is the background service that actually performs the requested action with elevated rights, and `iReboot.exe` is the frontend that you see and interact with.

glnz

Mahmoud - thanks. I had previously tried "Run as Administrator" in the Properties for iReboot.exe and the shortcut .lnk, and those flags are still checked.
1) Should I uncheck them?
2) If I also find them checked in iRebootd.exe, should I uncheck them because your code already elevates?
3) Is anyone else having this issue? (I hardly ever use my Win 10, so I haven't done anything to it.)