iReboot 2 .net JIT Debugger Error When Trying Reboot To Another System

It looks promising, I've installed it in all my OS's, 2 Win 7 and 1 Win 8.1 and so far so good.
The only new thing that could be a concern if they change from a yellow warning to a red error are some .net 4.00 items in EV.
Event ID 1020 Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.

No idea what that's about or if it is even connected with this, but I haven't seen it before.

Attachments

• InstallUtil.zip
    317 bytes · Views: 0
Oh crap, worked first time and now I go to test it again I get this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Object '/edc1e724_e3ce_413c_9233_b1a4e95ddbc3/jdxwdm7_jci27ce8mm_q_rwb_3.rem' has been disconnected or does not exist at the server.

Server stack trace:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChannelServices.CheckDisconnectedOrCreateWellKnownObject(IMessage msg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChannelServices.SyncDispatchMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at NeoSmart.iReboot.BcdInterface.BcdEntry.set_IsNextBoot(Boolean value)
at NeoSmart.iReboot.BcdInterface.BcdWrapper.SetNextBoot(BcdEntry entry)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at NeoSmart.iReboot.BcdInterface.BcdWrapper.SetNextBoot(BcdEntry entry)
at ..(MenuItem , BcdEntry )
at ...(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
iReboot
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.40
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.40
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NeoSmart%20Technologies/iReboot/iReboot.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.ServiceProcess
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
iReboot.BcdInterface
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.40
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.40
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NeoSmart%20Technologies/iReboot/iReboot.BcdInterface.DLL
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34245 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Strange that iReboot 1.1.1 works fine and anything above that doesn't. Could it be because I upgraded my OS from Vista to 7 and something got corrupted perhaps?
I know it relies on .net and I appear to have all the applicable versions installed.

It is associated with the switch from the HTTP-based server/client communication in 1.1 (which meant some firewalls interfered with iReboot) to the named pipe server/client communication in 2.0. sigh

I wish you'd mentioned Firewall before as that had never occurred to me.
1.1.1 had settings as 2-way "on designated ports" but 2.x oddly (on C: at least) had set itself to Outgoing Only
So I reset iReboot in FW to "Open to all devices" and the problem appears to have gone away.
I've booted between system twice now and they all seem to work with those settings.

So the answer appears to be how the new iReboot is presenting itself to Firewalls and applying permissions therein.
Users shouldn't have to manually reset Firewall settings so that could be a problem going forward.

One more hurdle with McAfee FW: NetGuard - it's an additional security feature in the Internet Connections for Programs section of Personal Firewall.
I had to turn that off for the iReboot item otherwise I got that error back the 1st attempt but once restarted it worked. Now I think it works some of the time - seems very picky.
Sorry, this has involved much rebooting so am a bit cross eyed from whizzing around my systems at break-neck speed.
Not sure how you, as a software maker, gets all this fixed up with McAfee, unless you can make 2.x behave exactly like 1.1.1 regarding firewalls.

Hope all this makes sense !!

iReboot 2 doesn't need any firewall rules as it doesn't utilize the network even locally - I need to figure out what's going on and find a way to reproduce it locally. I hate fixing bugs I can't even replicate on my own end, it feels like an exercise in futility. Thanks for putting up with this!

Well I may be off the mark regarding the firewall then as it continues to only work the first time and then not any more until it is restarted, then it works again .
That is odd in that why would it work at first and then not thereafter?

iReboot 2 doesn't need any firewall rules as it doesn't utilize the network even locally - I need to figure out what's going on and find a way to reproduce it locally. I hate fixing bugs I can't even replicate on my own end, it feels like an exercise in futility. Thanks for putting up with this!

Mahmoud, if you think my McAfee software has anything to do with it, I can point you to where you can get a free copy of their Total Protection suite (Beta) if it would help.

Peter, thank you very much for being so patient with me on this.
Looking over the code today, I saw that there was one bit that I didn't update with the changes that I tried in the other builds I posted in this thread - so perhaps it's not so much that the changes didn't do the trick so much as it is that they weren't thorough/complete enough. So here's build 41..

If this doesn't work, I do have an entirely different "shotgun approach" that I can try, so there's still some hope :smile:

Attachments

• iReboot Setup - build 41.exe
    295.4 KB · Views: 13
No problem Mahmoud, at least the old version is always a standby. I'm crossing fingers, but it appears you've nailed it finally. I've rebooted using it 3 times now and no issues. Will post if any further news but it looks OK to me.
Thanks for bearing with me.

Sorry, I literally typed out those three letters then stared at the screen. Typed some words out, went back and deleted them. Typed more words, went back and deleted some more. Literally speechless.

But I'm not letting myself believe it yet. I'll check back in a week or two before I trust myself to release this :wink:

I guess you can leave it here for future reference.

Everything still OK on your end? If so, I can invite that one other fellow that would randomly experience this error to try out this build as well.

Back