iReboot has encountered a problem ... ...

Background

I Have successfully setup a muti-boot system comprising Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04.

I have easyBCD 2.01 installed on XP and Win 7 along with iReboot. Initially they were all working perfectly (and I am delighted with the software).

The Problem

I recently had updates from Microsoft for XP. (3 of them failed to install). It was after this that a Windows pop up appeared each time I booted into XP ...

"iReboot has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" :angry:

What I have tried so far

A search on the forum thew up up an old thread with a similar problem. The solution was to download and reinstall NET Framework 2. I tried this and during the install I was greeted with another Windows pop up ... ...

"Setup cannot continue because this version of the NET Framework is incompatible with a previously installed one. For more info http://support.microsoft.com/support//kb/article/q312/5/00.asp " :angry:

I went to the web address ... ... and found ... ...

"Sorry but we could not find the page that you requested" :angry:

More info

The 3 updates that failed to install are all NET Framework related, which suggests they may provide a clue to the problem. Details below ... ...

1) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)

2) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

3) Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

A check on my installed program list shows I currently have installed ... ....

NET Framework 2.0 Service pack 2
Net Framework 3.00 Service pack 2
Net Framework 3.5 SP1​

N.B Items 1 and 3 of the failed updates also appear as "currently installed".

Well, I think that about covers it ... ... ... Sorry for so much detail, but it all seems relavant.

The distant cry for help

Can anyone help me get iReboot running, again, and maybe solve my NET Framework failed updates at the same time?

Oh and just one more query. Is there a version of iReboot that can be installed in Ubunto 10.04 ?

Last edited:
iReboots a Windows app so no install for Ubuntu. Have you tried re-installing iReboot? Does EasyBCD work? System restore from the accessories > system tools menu is your friend for bad Windows Updates.

iReboot and NET Framework ??

Yes I have uninstalled then reinstalled iReboot - and there is no change !

EasyBCD is working fine - or to be more specific, the boot menu previously set up by EasyBCD is working fine - I have no cause to think there is any problem with the program, and no reason to use it at the moment, because my boot menu is exactly as I want it.

Whilst "Windows Restore" may solve the problem in the short term, I would rather resolve the cause, and maintain what has been (up until now) a clean and up to date operating system .... ....

Bearing in mind the solution found to this problem in the past, I believe it's probably related to a bug, or a corupt file in my current Net Framework installations.

I imagine, ... ... ... that I will need to uninstall all my NET Framework programs (plus all the many updates), and then reinstall in sequence.

However, I know nothing about NET Framework and would be pleased to have some confirmation from someone with more experience than I. I would also be glad to have some advice on the best way to go about this ... ... ... ... and ... ... if apropriate .... ... links to the various versions of NET Framework.

I am also quite curious about my accumulated versions of NET Framework - Is it necessary to have all three installed, or do they superceed each other, as with other software. Might this be part of the problem ???

You can start EasyBCD without using it. I'm just trying to make sure that .net apps other than the problem app is loading fine without an error.

If EasyBCD doesn't start, its either...
a) Problem with the .net installation caused by bad WUpdates
b) ZoneAlarm (this blocks anything .net from running - uninstall it)
c) Malware infection. Run a full scan

If EasyBCD does start, give system restore a try. Get the download package of .net 3.5 from here.

It doesnt matter that multiple versions are installed. Later versions are capable of running older 2.0 apps too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Just tried Easy BCD and it's showing "Fatal Error" (Does this mean I'm going to die soon ? LOL )

"CLR error 80004005 The program will now terminate"

I have a recent disk image (Trueimage) backup, which I am inclined to use to rrestore the whole partition. However, I am a little concerned that this might bugger up the MBR. by overwriting the BCD with the XP equivalent.

Any thoughts ?

Addendum:

Have successfully restored my XP partition, and then used EasyBCD to reset the boot menu.

So all is well for the time being --- (until Microsoft send me those duff updates again) -- I guess I might need to "hide" the particular problem updates, to keep the system running ?

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Handygrandad

Last edited:
Yep, hide any updates that break your system and they won't be offered to you. You can also be proactive by having Windows Update notify you but not download/install the updates until you give it permission. This gives you time to go over the updates, so if something breaks you may have a better idea of what caused it. If you do take to this method of applying updates though, you'll need to make sure you review the updates when you're notified and install them ASAP to stay up to date. Security updates are very important for example to keep a clean computer.

Last edited:
Back