iReboot Just Sits There - Inactive, In Windows 10 RTM

Ex_Brit

Staff member
As the header says...will do some research to see if I should have done something differently or....as it's all new to me.

Build 2.0.1.42

Maybe uninstall then reinstall?

Well my second OS upgrade (Win 7 spare OS to 10 Pro) went without a hitch and iReboot worked fine there. I can only assume something got corrupted. I know the original attempts triggered extensive chkdsk's which may have something to do with it, although I can't imagine what.

Still not arrived in UK.
Now WUD has even stopped saying "We'll let you know..." and has reverted to "No Updates..."

Yes it will do that. Using the MCT would expedite matters in your case Terry. You can also use it to download the ISO for future use.

BTW there is a caveat in your case Terry if using MCT.
You must (temporarily if you are non-US) change your language and keyboard settings to English US/US, uninstall any security software (again temporarily of course) and remove any user profile passwords, you can always put them back after.

I'm not in any hurry.
I won't be using it anyway, just replacing the useless waste of space called 8.1 with it.
If 8/8.1/TP are anything to go by, it will be booted once a month just to apply patches, each time W7 reminds me by getting its own tune-up.
It might serve a purpose to keep me online if W7 were ever to suffer a melt-down, always assuming that whatever caused it didn't take down the rest of the SSD with it !
Otherwise I can't see any way it will be of any use to me until W7 runs out of support, but I'd just as well get it while it's free for that eventuality.

That was my prime reason for rushing to get it because, despite all kinds of customizations, 8.1 just didn't cut it as far as I was concerned. 10 is way past that and quite acceptable but I would refuse the default offerings when you finally go that route. You'll see what I mean when it installs. I prefer to set all my defaults after I'm in there.

I always chose "custom" and hand select every option when I install any software. I certainly don't exclude MS from that scrutiny.

That's good. BTW I read somewhere that the update will only arrive in WU if it's set to automatically download.

I didn't read up on any of the Windows 10 upgrade resources, I just did what I always do: googled for a direct link to the ISO, mounted it in a virtual CD, ran setup.exe, and followed the prompts to upgrade. Either I got lucky or there's a lot of FUD about what you have to do to upgrade.

Oh, I see that if you try the download page from a Windows PC, you'll get the MCT; whereas if you try it from a Mac or Linux PC you'll get the direct link to the ISO...

I turned on auto-update and left 8.1 running all night.
This morning WUD is full of "Automatic Update to W10...failed" about 5 times overnight.
Turns out the failure code is "not your turn yet"
So I've turned auto back off again, and I'll just wait till it notifies me that a download has arrived.

Hardly joined-up thinking.
One team writes code to get the update, another writes more to say "no"
Oh ! and it's screwed up one of my flash-drives which is now unrecognized and "needs formatting"

BTW still getting intermittent cases of iReboot dying in Win 10. So I then have to use the old fashioned restart method....:wink:

Back