iReboot: Make current entry default until another OS is selected

Terry60

Telephone Sanitizer (2nd Class)
Staff member
How do I set the config values to achieve what I had with grub/Hns ?
i.e. Current OS always reboots to itself until a different OS is selected, then that one continues to be default until another selection.

In iReboot 2.0, there are two ways of doing this.

1) In iReboot.exe.config set "SetDefaultOnStartup" to "True"
This will basically auto-select the OS iReboot starts up on as the target for the next boot.

2) In iReboot.exe.config set "StickySelections" to "True"
This means instead of setting the one-time boot target, change the actual default entry in the BCD to the selected OS entry.

Either approach will work. The 2nd does not need to be done to every iReboot installation, while the 1st must be set for all iReboot installations.

Interesting, do I have to do that in my Windows-only one? I tried just now and got "Cannot create.....blah blah" reject popup.

Peter, I'm not sure what you mean both about your configuration and what brought about the error?

iReboot will work "out of the box" exactly as you'd expect it to, I don't think you'll need to change anything for your particular configuration. Terry had a very interesting and customized boot procedure with the old "Vista Hide 'n Seek" software and he's been (IIRC) using iReboot to mimic the menu-related behavior of Vista HnS.

Terry, were you running 1.1.1 or one of the really old 2.0 beta builds previously?

I wasn't using iReboot at all.
Since building my latest UEFI/GPT SSD PC, my former HnS grub quad-boot became a straight W7/W8 dual (99% W7) so I hardly actually multi-booted at all.
After adding W10 it became 98% W7, with occasional monthly boots into the metro world just to keep the patches and new builds current, but doubling that maintenance load made me hanker for the old "default to the current system" I had on the quad boot, as I had to sit around waiting for the reboots to jump in on the arrow key.
When I saw the iReboot 2 announcement, I thought I'd bang it on and start using that instead.
I couldn't remember what config parameters did what exactly, so I thought it would be good to ask in the public forum, so it's there as a reference for others too.
Incidentally Peter, If your error message relates to updating the config file, you'll need to grant yourself permission to update it. By default it objects.
CG, I had correctly guessed (remembered?) version 1, but have not tested it yet.

Well Terry I was only trying to change it because of \what was said above, I thought maybe iReboot 2 wasn't yet finalised for some reason. But as Mahmoud states, it should work as is.

Back