iReboot right click menu not appearing from taskbar icon

I’ve searched through the threads but didn’t find an answer to the problem I’m having. I have an older Dell Inspiron 15 laptop that has both Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual booting. In the past I’ve had no issues running EasyBCD or iReboot, both have worked fine until now.

I don’t use this laptop much, so I’m not sure exactly when iReboot’s right click menu issue started. I only noticed it after replacing the Samsung 860 EVO 256 gig SSD with a Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB SSD several days ago.

I have three partitions, one for Windows 7, one for Storage and one for Windows 10. The drive is set up for MBR and each Windows partition only has one partition, no hidden System or Recovery partitions.

Both ireboot.exe and irebootd.exe are running in Task Manager, so I don’t seem to have any issues with either starting during boot up. iReboot background service is running when I check in Services, it’s set to Automatic.

One thing that’s really weird is when I check Task Manager, iReboot Service is using 40% CPU all the time, and it never stops.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times, deleting the NeoSmart folder, just about all the things I could find here but I can’t seem to find anything that works for me.

I have both EasyBCD and iReboot on two other computers that dual boot 7 and 10 and both are working fine. At some point iReboot’s right click menu stopped working and I’m not sure if it happened when I swapped out the SSD.

Thanks for your time, PB

Thanks for the advice, but like I stated in my post, I've tried that many times, probably more than a dozen times on both 7 and 10. The outcome is the same for both 7 and 10 each time, no right click menu appears and high CPU usage.

I'm using the file I downloaded from this site recently and I just downloaded it again this morning. Did a file content comparison and both files are identical.

One thing I'm going to try this morning is moving the hidden boot folder to my Storage partition using EasyBCD. Then I will uninstall on both 7 and 10 again, delete the NeoSmart folders again. If I recall, the boot folder is currently on the 10 partition.

Cheers, PB

OK I missed something. Hidden folder or drive(s) will not show on iReboot. It simply works as an extension of EasyBCD which in turn reflects Windows own boot information. IT just adds some extras to that.

After several days and many hours, iReboot is working normally again. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what exactly fixed it since I did several things before I actually reinstalled iReboot again this time around.

All of this I did for both Windows 7 and 10, rebooting many times during this process.

I uninstalled iReboot.
Turned on show hidden folders and files.
Deleted the NeoSmart folder under my username/appdata/local. (I’ve done that many times, something I read in another thread).
Ran Ccleaner to clean things up. (I’ve done that many times).
Using EasyBCD I moved the boot files/folder to my Storage partition, it had been on the Windows 10 partition.
I deleted the hidden boot, EFI and Recovery folders from both 7 and 10 partitions leaving the hidden boot folder on the Storage partition only.
I removed the Macrium Reflect Recovery Media from the boot menu leaving only 7 and 10. (I hadn’t done that before).
Ran Ccleaner again.
I rebooted several times into 7 and 10 and both booted fine.
Starting with Windows 7, I installed iReboot and all works normally again.
I then installed iReboot onto Windiws 10 and all works normally again.
I reinstalled Macrium Reflect Recovery Media into the boot menu and all is working normally.

I didn’t take notes, so I’m writing this from memory, so the exact sequence could be out of order, but I don’t think so.

Anyway, this has been a frustrating experience and I’m glad it’s working again. Unfortunately, just doing a simple uninstall and reinstall never did fix this issue for me.

Cheers, PB

You've had quite an ordeal I see. I can only say that I was guessing at fixes as I have never experienced that issue.

You've had quite an ordeal I see. I can only say that I was guessing at fixes as I have never experienced that issue.
Thanks, and yes, quite an ordeal. It's a good thing I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands.

What's weird is, I have three computers that dual boot 7 and 10 and all are set up the same way. Using MBR for drive(s), no hidden System or Recovery partitions and Macrium Reflect Recovery Media in all the boot menus.

I guess I will never know what actually fixed it. It could have been just one of the things I did or a combination of things. Maybe this will help someone else that is having this issue.

Cheers, PB

Just as an FYI, the high CPU consumption of the iReboot service was caused by whatever it is that you fixed (Macrium does mess with the bootloader so it might be that).

Typically, the iReboot Service uses 0.00% CPU and less than 1 MiB of RAM.

Just as an FYI, the high CPU consumption of the iReboot service was caused by whatever it is that you fixed (Macrium does mess with the bootloader so it might be that).

Typically, the iReboot Service uses 0.00% CPU and less than 1 MiB of RAM.
Thanks and at this point I may never know what the exact cause was. I have several computers that dual boot 7 and 10 all running Macrium and don't have any issues with them.

Cheers, PB

Back