Is Vista recovery CD an install CD?

umbis

Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time reader. I just down loaded the Vista 64 bit disk for my HP Laptop. I'm not having problems with my system, I just want to make sure the disk works. It boots from the CD fine. However, it asks me if I want to install Vista. I don't want to click OK, because I don't want to lose data. Is this a normal stage of the process? Again, I don't want to install Vista again, I just want to browse the different options on the disk in case I have problems in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Hello umbis and Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

To answer your question, yes this is normal to see that first screen to come up with the Install Now button. If you click it, it will give you an error message as there are no install files on the CD.

If you look at the lower left hand corner you will see the option entitled "Repair my PC". If you click that you will see several more options. This is what the CD can be used for.

For more information check out our Wiki page here.

You will see the option i mention above and the next screen in the process. It is this screen that is used to do a repair of the boot loader or BCD and to use some other options as well. Such as the System Restore, Command Prompt, Restore from a backup and Memory Diagnostics.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Regards,
Mak

Back