Laptop booting from ODD using BIOS extender

PiTRiS

Hello,

"neosmart" newbie here, right away with a question :smile:)

i have recently added SATA drive into my ODD in laptop (Dell XPS 15 l502x). Unfortunately laptop cant boot from ODD on its own, so i used easybcd bios extender to boot from it (i dont want to put it in main bay, as the HDD produces much more noise and heat in ODD). I installed it on windows 7 located on HDD to boot to win8 located on SSD in ODD. Now i want to delete partition with Win7, but am not sure how to do it to retain bootability using easy BCD.

So my situtaution:

HDD (boot device):
part 1 - 100MB boot partition WIN 7 created
part 2 - working win 7 partition i installed easy BCD bios extender from; i want to delete this one now
part 3 - data
SSD (optical drive bay)
part 1 - 600MB boot partition WIN 8 created
part 2 - system

as my system only boots from main bay (HDD), I'd like to (somehow) install easy BCD (or some other) bios extender on HDD part1 which would "reroute" booting to SSDpart1 so i could delete HDDpart2 to free up more space for data as i no longer need it.

I guess that currently easy bcd is not that much installed as it does not let me save changes in bios extender...

Any ideas how to delete that partition and retain bootability?

Thank you, hope everything is clear, i tried to describe it as best as i could, also sorry for any mistakes in my english, as its not my primary language :smile:)

Hello,

"neosmart" newbie here, right away with a question :smile:)

i have recently added SATA drive into my ODD in laptop (Dell XPS 15 l502x). Unfortunately laptop cant boot from ODD on its own, so i used easybcd bios extender to boot from it (i dont want to put it in main bay, as the HDD produces much more noise and heat in ODD). I installed it on windows 7 located on HDD to boot to win8 located on SSD in ODD. Now i want to delete partition with Win7, but am not sure how to do it to retain bootability using easy BCD.

So my situtaution:

HDD (boot device):
part 1 - 100MB boot partition WIN 7 created
part 2 - working win 7 partition i installed easy BCD bios extender from; i want to delete this one now
part 3 - data
SSD (optical drive bay)
part 1 - 600MB boot partition WIN 8 created
part 2 - system

as my system only boots from main bay (HDD), I'd like to (somehow) install easy BCD (or some other) bios extender on HDD part1 which would "reroute" booting to SSDpart1 so i could delete HDDpart2 to free up more space for data as i no longer need it.

I guess that currently easy bcd is not that much installed as it does not let me save changes in bios extender...

Any ideas how to delete that partition and retain bootability?

Thank you, hope everything is clear, i tried to describe it as best as i could, also sorry for any mistakes in my english, as its not my primary language :smile:)

How did you do that ?? I have the same problem, installed BIOS Extender but cannot boot form ODD :/ There are 3 partitions listed on BIOS Extender but none works.

I honestly don't know after the years :grinning: But, I think it was somethink like this:
- cloned my HDD system partition (both system and the 100MB one) to SSD
- installed BIOS extender on the HDD
- created a boot record pointing to SSD
And it was working. After that I deleted sys partitions from HDD and voila. So basically ti booted to HDD which redirected it to SSD... somehow. :grinning:

Back