Laptop ran out of power during update configuration, now Windows 7 won't boot?

Here's a quick overview of what happened today. Earlier today when I switched off my laptop, it installed updates before shutting down, and I let it do so, I didn't try to switch it off or interrupt the process.

About an hour later on the bus home, I switched on the laptop, and it started configuring the updates. It got to about 15%, then the battery cut out (I hadn't noticed it was low). I left it, and then plugged it in once I got home and tried to boot it, but nothing. I got the VAIO screen, the 'starting windows' screen, and then it would just restart and go to Startup Repair. I've literally tried every option in startup repair, but the repair can't fix the problem, system restore has failed three times trying three different restore points, and a memory check has come up with nothing.

I've tried booting in safe mode, but it just restarts again.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCCW1S1E, running Windows 7, and I honestly don't know what the updates were, as I can't check.

I also don't have a Windows DVD, I never got one with my laptop, and the warranty has been up for a year now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really can't afford to completely reinstall the system, as I currently have no way to access any of my files on there which I need for college and such.

If you need any more details to help, let me know, thank you!

I take it you never bothered to create a free W7 repair disc
(Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create Repair Disc )
If you have a friend with W7, get him to burn one for you (and one for himself)
Failing that, you can buy a Linux-based Windows repair disc from here, which will also allow you to navigate to your personal files and rescue them to external storage.
Any free bootable-Linux distro will also allow the same thing
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

A W7 repair disc (and the Neosmart subsitute) will also allow access to System Restore to back out the failed Update(s) to an earlier time.

Don't forget that Microsoft offer free one-to-one support for any problems caused by Windows Update
Please Verify your Location

No, it never occurred to me to make one! Silly me >.<

I'll try those out and see if they're any use (and hopefully they will be!)

Thank you very much!

Back