laptop won't boot at all

KCJackson

Hi,

I used EasyBCD to remove linux from the boot menu after I uninstalled it and accidentally removed Windows 8 from the boot menu. I then used EasyBCD to add Windows 8 again as a new entry and it told me everything was sorted. Now when I turn my ultrabook on nothing happens other than the hard drive activity light blinks a couple of times and the screen lights up but displays nothing - a completely blank screen. I even tried connecting the USB bootable drive for Linux but nothing's happening. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks.

So you got no errors or warning that there was no entry for booting? Did you make sure to save the settings before you restarted?

Sounds like you will have to make a flash drive bootable with either Windows 8 or EasyBCD to try and repair the boot.

No... No warnings or errors. All settings saved. How do I that with EasyBCD? I presume making one with Windows 8 is going to cost me the price of a Windows 8 download, right?

But you get nothing on the display at all, even if you try using a known working USB Drive with a portable version of Linux on there? That screams bigger issue than Windows not booting. As there should be something on screen and you should be able to boot to a known working USB Thumb Drive with a portable version of Linux on there. That to me sounds like a display ribbon came loose. I would contact the manufacturer and get the machine checked out. Nothing EasyBCD does would cause the display to go black and not even work for a bootable USB Thumb Drive.

But it was absolutely fine until I restarted it after using EasyBCD. When I hit restart it shut down properly and then turned itself back on with nothing on the display and not processing anything. The light that indicates that the hard drive's doing something flickers 2 or 3 times and then goes off completely. And I only have to tap the power button for it to turn itself back off again instantly. It would be very precise timing for something to go wrong hardware wise.

Back