Lenovo desktop computer windows 10 wifi, airplane mode "vanished", minute to boot up

whiteheater

I have had a Lenovo A10 Desktop Computer for a little over 2 years with no problems until Nov. 8th. At around 4 PM I suddenly couldn't get online only to discover that Wifi is now missing from my network adapter settings, network status (it is still listed under network properties but status says not present, disconnected) and also the Network and Sharing center. Only ethernet is listed there. Wifi is also missing on the device manager network adapter list. The icon on the taskbar to connect to the internet isn't the usual icon but box-shaped with a Red X and it doesn't show my wireless connection or any of the other connections on my street like it should plus the Airplane Mode on the notifications list is missing too. My computer originally came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago and had no problems at all. I also downloaded the Anniversary update when it was available. I've tried a few things I read online but it hasn't fixed the problem. I also observed another thing yesterday that is unusual. When I start the desktop, it used to start up right away but now it takes a full minute to boot up (black screen) and I hear a "whoooshing" sound until it boots up. It takes the same amount of time to restart the computer but no such sound when I do restart it.. My 2 year warranty is up. Any suggestions on how to fix my problems?

Try System Restore to before all this started - (Win key + R and then type in rstrui.exe and hit the Enter key).
Try reinstalling whatever Lenovo offers as WiFi drivers.

Edit: you could also try System Repair as per: SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
But warning that will remove any non-standard personalizations.

I think things are worse now. I tried system restore back to October 27th and it was successful. The wifi appeared in notifications for a split second and then vanished. I tried a different restore point and then another but both failed and might have been deleted. I tried a system reset, didn't work. Startup repair couldn't repair my PC. When I tried to sign in with my password, I get this message: "Your device is offline; Please sign in with the last password used on this device. I tried a few different passwords but none work and typing those words in google search it seems to be an error message. Any other suggestions?

Also you could always simply undo that restore you just did.. I wonder if you've run any registry cleaners? Those often cause symptoms like this. If so they usually have an undo choice. In Network & Sharing Center make sure only `1 network connector is active.
Try a wired connection perhaps?
Also check your A/V to make sure it hasn't quarantined the WiFi driver/software.

Maybe you could help me solve 2 immediate problems. First, I can use my microsoft account password to get into command prompt ( by way of pressing shift and restart---troubleshoot--advanced options) but when I use the same password for my sign in page I get the message ... your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device. I usually sign in with a 4 number pin number but I don't get that option. That message seems to be an error message.

Second, when I try system restore after that first time that worked, I now get this error message every time I try now...
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details:
System Restore failed to extract the file.
(C:/ Windows/WinSXS/amd64_microsoft-windows-ui-shell-component_31bf3856ad364? (there may be more letters or numbers)
from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.
You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method. I tried more recovery points but got the same reply. (BTW it always seems to take a minute between choosing an option and when the option comes up; also I have to sign in with my microsoft account password, (which it accepts) before trying the System Restore)

If I can get past these two things maybe I can get somewhere.

I've seen that before and it means the restore didn't actually take place because of that failure to extract a file. So nothing has really changed except a whole bunch of temporary files now is sitting somewhere on the drive..
If it were my machine I would format and do a complete fresh installation. 10 reads the hardware and should theoretically install and activate OK that way.
Is that possible?

When I tried to do a reinstall it stops at 64% and then stalls. I shut it off and when I restarted, I get "undoing changes." I can get into the command prompt. Is there anything I can do there?

This is after formatting the drive - i.e. a full install? Either the hard drive is on the way out or your installation media is faulty perhaps?
The repair disks offered here are not full system disks so can only do so much.
Perhaps an appeal for help on this forum may be fruitful: Windows 10 Forums

Back