Lenovo ThinkPad - keeping recovery while updating Win7 -> Win10

dimm0k

I'm currently using Windows 7 on a ThinkPad that still has a factory recovery partition that allows me to wipe my machine back to factory state. It's nice to have, but what I noticed is that if I upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 then this partition is no longer accessible via the F11 boot up sequence. Is there any way EasyBCD can boot directly to this partition as an entry in the BCD list? Is there any way to have Windows 10 and still be able to access F11? Yes, I know that if I stick with Windows 10 that it's pretty much pointless to keep Windows 7 or the recovery partition... but just wondering if it's possible.

Your OEM will have installed a custom boot manager with W7 which incorporated its recovery and factory-reset options
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/OEMBoot_Vista.doc
When MS upgrades your W7 to W10, it will replace the bootmgr with the vanilla W10 version, losing all the OEM customization.
I don't know whether Lenovo will have any recovery partition upgrade patch which will enable your PC to have W10 recovery capability.
Somehow I doubt it, but you could ask them.

Your OEM will have installed a custom boot manager with W7 which incorporated its recovery and factory-reset options
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/OEMBoot_Vista.doc
When MS upgrades your W7 to W10, it will replace the bootmgr with the vanilla W10 version, losing all the OEM customization.
I don't know whether Lenovo will have any recovery partition upgrade patch which will enable your PC to have W10 recovery capability.
Somehow I doubt it, but you could ask them.

thanks for the explanation and link! looking online I can see that my system is not supported for Windows 10, which unfortunately means they would not have anything to help me in my case... and even if it was, my past dealings with Lenovo tells me they wouldn't be able to help regardless. I suppose as long as I have the recovery option on a disk that this is pointless for me to have on the system anyway...

Not sure it will help you, it might lead to lots or reading and trying.....
On TPB there has been a Lenovo one key recovery 7.0 for Windows 7. That is the program that Lenovo used to restore the backup from the hidden partition.
If I were you, I would started with installing a temporary copy of windows 7, try to install the one key recovery for windows 7 (and not the copy for windows 8!) and then try to recover your ThinkPad with its recovery partition.
It might be, that it is possible to boot from the one key recovery disk, I'm not sure about that.
I don't have experience with doing this, but i know the torrent exist as it was leaked from Lenovo :wink:

Back