linuxmint installation alonside windows7 with dual boot

jag194u

Hi there,
i trying to install linunxmint 13 cinamon alongside windows7 home premium.i have used easybcd 2.2 beta build for the dual boot.
my system is: sony viao sve14a15fn
i am able to login to windows but not to linux.when i enter the linux os i get an error message and then when i click enter it says operating system not found.

can someone enlighten me on this issue.

this is what isee in the bootloader
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Sony Original
BCD ID: {8378edd9-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Bootloader Path:
Entry #2
Name: Windows Boot Manager
BCD ID: {8378edda-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Device: Unknown
Bootloader Path:
Entry #3
Name: Windows Boot Manager
BCD ID: {8378eddb-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Bootloader Path:
Entry #4
Name: CD/DVD Drive
BCD ID: {8378edd7-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Bootloader Path:
Entry #5
Name: Hard Drive
BCD ID: {8378edd8-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Bootloader Path:
Entry #6
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

when i made an entry of linux and restarted the system.i was not able to login to linux but iam able to login to windows7
after i made linux entry isee this
Entry #7
Name: NeoSmart Linux
BCD ID: {8378ede0-f577-11e1-8cac-94c62b152e83}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Hi guru,
i have used latest beta build--180 .
when i try to login into linuxmint.i get the following statement.
/NST/grub.mbr------ file not found

i have tried installing the neogrub in the easy bcd and to boot into linux mint.still of no use.thankgod iam able to boot into windows atleast.
any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Addendum

adding to my previous question ...i came across one post where he is suggesting to change menu.lst file pointing to the right paths of both linux and windows
i have gone thru that example script but iam not pretty much clear with it.
can someone suggest me whether iam thinking in the right way?if not give me some idea on this.

Hi guru,
i have used latest beta build--180 .
when i try to login into linuxmint.i get the following statement.
/NST/grub.mbr------ file not found

i have tried installing the neogrub in the easy bcd and to boot into linux mint.still of no use.thankgod iam able to boot into windows atleast.
any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Addendum

adding to my previous question ...i came across one post where he is suggesting to change menu.lst file pointing to the right paths of both linux and windows
i have gone thru that example script but iam not pretty much clear with it.
can someone suggest me whether iam thinking in the right way?if not give me some idea on this.

You may be referring to my post. I was having problems dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon) on separate hard drives. The way I got the dual boot to work was by:
1. Installing NeoGrub
2. Editing the menu.lst file

This method results in 2 boot menus. The first boot menu is the Windows 7 boot menu. You'll have a choice to boot into Windows or NeoGrub. If you choose NeoGrub, you will be taken to a second boot menu which lists whatever you have in the menu.lst file (see my file below). If you choose Windows, you boot up Windows 7.

My menu.lst file looks like:

title Linux Mint
find --set-root /vmlinuz
kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sdc1
initrd /initrd.img

You'll need to change sdc1 to the appropriate partition for your setup. You DO NOT have to add anything to the menu.lst file for Windows unless you want to.

Good luck to you!

Do the easyBCD examples assume the user has placed 'boot' and 'root' together?

BootNewbie;73530... My menu.lst file looks like: title Linux Mint find --set-root /vmlinuz kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/[B said:
sdc1[/B]
initrd /initrd.img

Sorry for the necropost -- but it's a very general question and so anyone may reply.

Can anyone say if the above example assumes 'boot' and 'root' (/) are using the same directory?
As well, do the other scripts and examples on the easyBCD website make the same assumption -- or not?

Following advice on the Ubuntu forum, my LinuxMint installation keeps the two directories separate.

? Please advise as to whether or not I should follow the examples, as written, thanks!

Back