lost restore points dual booting xp and win 7

esmo

I want to install win 7 on my xp machine, but it seems that running these together using dual boot, causes all win 7 restore points get erased. I have been told that easy bcd will cure this problem. Is this so? If yes, I would like to know how to install it. Thanks, esmo

After Installing W7, before you do anything important, boot XP, enter system restore and set it to apply only to the XP partition (and any partition containing apps installed on XP) and then apply this hack
System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete
Boot W7 again and in system restore set it to apply only to the W7 partition (and any partition containing apps installed on W7. Note that this cannot be a partition shared between the systems), then set a restore point using a name that you'll recognize later. Any partition containing data shared between the two systems should not be included in the system restore list on either system.
Boot XP again and then return to W7.
Check that your restore point is still there.
In most cases the hack you applied previously will prevent the systems from encountering any SR clash and your restore point will still be there.
If it's not, post back and we can help you set up your boot to use another method which will circumvent the problem.

lost restore points

Thanks for your reply. Because of the way my computer is configured, your suggested workaround might be problematic for me. Also, I don't like to make registry changes. I am not knowledgeable enough to handle problems which might arise if I make a mistake. I read while browsing that easy bcd will allow double booting without losing any restore points. I can't remember where I read it, so I am trying alternate sources to tell me if easy bcd is a solution, Do you know to whom I can turn to for an answer? Thanks again, esmo

The hack I linked for you is quite simple, and most of the time all you need. The advantage over 3rd party solutions is that it won't be undone by Windows Updates. If you're not confident enough to do that, I don't think you're ready to use the alternative which involves replacing the MS boot manager, and can consequently get overwritten (and hence negated) by WUD, if you're not completely up-to speed on how it works and prepared to take manual steps to protect it.
What's your configuration problem?
Post a Disk Management screenshot if you like (details of how in the sticky if needed)

Last edited:
install ebcd on xp machine

I need detailed instructions how to install ebcd on an xp pro sp3 computer. The goal is to subsequently add win 7 dual boot, and finally remove the xp leaving a win 7 machine. I understand that using ebcd prevents losing restore points when switching from xp to win 7. I'm not exactly a newbie, but my technical knowledge is somewhat limited. Thanks. esmo

Please don't start multiple threads for the same problem.
You've already had an explanation of the simplest and safest option.
If you're not happy to do that, then perhaps you'd better seek professional help with setting up your PC.

Back