Lost Ubuntu from Dual Boot with Win XP

Hi,

I have successfully set up a spare PC with Ubuntu 10.10 dual booting with Win XP. Everything was going fine except I had both the GRUB2 loader followed by the EasyBCD loader. In my attempt to "fix" the problem, I appear to have screwed up something.

The EasyBCD settings for the bootloader reads as follows:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Ubuntu Linux
Timeout: 10 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Ubuntu Linux
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub2.mbr

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {33ff95d3-002d-11e0-a417-0015c5aa07b4}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

The boot.ini file reads as follows:

; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe
; Use EasyBCD from Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies to manage your bootloader

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on C:\" /fastdetect

I guess I have somehow lost the GRUB2 entry in boot.ini

I have read all the posts that seem similar but to no avail. Could an expert steer towards a solution.

Thanks,

locksalordy
EasyBCD 2.0.2

Last edited:
How did EasyBCD get involved in this ?
It's not a bootloader. It's an app for configuring the Vista/7 bootloader.
You don't seem to be using either of those OSs.
Where did your BCD come from ?
We cannot give assistance with illicit use of the MS BCD if you are not the owner of a genuine Vista or W7 installation.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand. I am using legitimate copies of Win XP (the original install on a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop) and Ubuntu 10.10. Win XP was installed first so I used GParted to repartition the HDD and I installed Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu I used EasyBCD to manage the boot process (and I have donated so I am not freeloading). After the initial setup, I ended up with both the Linux Grub2 boot manager and EasyBCD so I tried to 'fix' the situation and lost the ability to boot Ubuntu.

Somehow, I have ended up with the situation as per my post (the entries quoted for the bootloader are from EasyBCD) and would like some help to get out of it. My expertise is limited so I turned to the experts. Sorry if I'm not using the right words.

Perhaps I have got myself in a situation that Win XP can't handle: I realise BCD is a Vista / Win 7 component so maybe I have misused EasyBCD's BCD backup and repair facility in my blundering attempts to get back to being able to dual boot Win XP with Ubuntu. At the moment, I can only boot into Win XP and have 'lost' the Linux boot capability.

I still need help.

locksalordy

You can't use EasyBCD to do what you want. It only configures the Vista/7 BCD. It won't create one for you on a different operating system.
You can configure NTLDR to boot Linux if you're extremely determined and a bit of a whizz with boot.ini syntax, but your best option is simply to reinstall grub2 to Linux, let it take control of the boot and dual-boot XP via grub.
Grub will recognize a standard XP install and create a boot menu entry which will chain NTLDR directly.

Thanks, Terry.

I've been happily dual-booting my desktop with Win 7 and Ubuntu for months under the control of EasyBCD and just assumed EasyBCD would work the same with XP. Shouldn't assume anything I suppose.

Recovered the Grub2 loader and all is back to normal.

lockalordy

Back