Main boot (7 starter) disapeared...

xiquin

Hello everybody.
I have an Asus eeec netbook, with seven starter pre_installed.
I installed XP SP3 on a new partition and used both OS for a couple of monthes. After a Seven automatic update, Xp stopped booting. I installed EasyBCD and I had to kill the Xp entry and re_create it identically to make it work again.
And now, for some reason, the boot menu does not show Seven anymore.
It's here and still the system partition (C:smile: but no entry point.
I have a valid XP CD but nothing for Windows 7 (preinstalled).
Thank you for any (good) advice.
Config.JPG

Where is the Active Partition located? You need to have the Windows 7 Drive be the system Active drive.

Where is the Active Partition located? You need to have the Windows 7 Drive be the system Active drive.
That's the way it is. I think that everything fine, except that since i cannot acceed the "windows seven" boot option, I cannot run easybcd to fix the bootloader. I have only one physical drive and an usb cdrom drive (usb).
I am afraid that if I run the recovery tool (F9) I will ruin my xp partition. What do you think?
See attached picture for my configuration

Sorry but your image is not in English. We are an English speaking forum. I cant translate that image so I have no idea what it says.

Remove the USB and then try.

Sorry about the french image. The usb drive was not connected when I shot that screenprint.
Here is the translated description of my hdd partitions:

Partition 1 W7 starter (C: ) 100Go, NTFS, healthy, (system)
Partition 2 15Go, FAT32, healthy, "unknown partition" This,I guess is the recovery partition
Partition 3 XP (D: ) healthy 183Go, , (start)
Partition 4 16Mo, (EFI system partition), healthy

None of these partitions is extended.

Last edited:
According to the French translation here
Disk Management Flags (multilingual - please add your language)
you don't have any partition set "active" and there's no "boot"
I don't know whether that was an oversight by the French poster in that translation, but it appears to have some differences to yours.
Perhaps you could make a Canadian ? French entry (if that's your language pack) for that thread, then we'd all know how to interpret what we're seeing.

According to the French translation here
Disk Management Flags (multilingual - please add your language)
you don't have any partition set "active" and there's no "boot"
I don't know whether that was an oversight by the French poster in that translation, but it appears to have some differences to yours.
Perhaps you could make a Canadian ? French entry (if that's your language pack) for that thread, then we'd all know how to interpret what we're seeing.

You're right, I "don't find my kittens" in your translator! ( oups, sounds a bit french again), but my active partition is the Xp one, partition D:, where i am posting from.
It is just like if I erased the main entry (windows 7, C: by misusing easyBCD. Maybe this it what I did. Nevermind since the choice to boot to 7 does not exist anymore, i cannot get into Easybcd and try to fix the mess. Just wondering if there is any other option. I am afraisd that using the built-in restore tool will just kill my XP since I repartitionned my HD to achieve a dual boot.
By the way, I am french, and I have a french OS, not much I can do about that :shame:

a) get yourself a free bootable partition manager
b) use it to set W7 "active"
c) try the W7 boot again
If that doesn't get you into W7, flip the "active" bit back where it is now and reboot XP
In XP you can install EasyBCD, and when you run it, it will ask you where to find the BCD
Point it to C:\boot\BCD (you will need folder options set like this to find it, it's super-hidden)
Add a W7 entry if it's missing.
Flip the active bit back to W7 and reboot.
(you can flip the "active" bit in Windows Disk Management, but keep the bootable Partition Manager handy in case moving it gives you no bootable partitions, and you need an offline tool to put it back)

Bingo! It worked out. I had tested Easybcd on another computer with only xp installed and was kicked out. But on my netbook I could launch it from XP,and found out that i had 2 xp partitions and one 7 starter partition, none of them was tagged as "default". I marked Seven has the default one and then I could boot to Windows seven starter... But my Xp stopped working (ntldr missing blablabla...) so I did like the first time :kill the xp entries, add a new entry and
let EasyBCD rebuild it its way (actually exactly the same).
And for now, everything works fine, inch Allah! till the next windows update I fear.
Still many things I don't understand, but congratulations to the EasyBCD team,please keep on making simple what Microsoft spends so much energy to make complicated.
Cheers from Saint-Martin

Last edited:
Back