making bootable cd for windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

FROGGY66

My computer's been running really slow,so after trying other options without improvement,I did a system restore.Now my computer won't even boot up in safe-mode.I'm using my laptop to troubleshoot the problem.I think I might need to make a bootable cd but when I tried to go to uTorrent's Free BitTorrent Software,I couldn't find the free software.I can't afford any options requiring a credit card,especially when I don't know that cd will fix problem.Can anybody help me,PLEASE!!!

You mean a recovery CD or a system CD? The recovery CD's are here but they wont repair an operating system. Does your machine not have a recovery partition in order to return it to factory settings?
How to do that would be in your system literature the manufacturer provided or on their website maybe.

If it's a Vista system disk you are after......which sounds the best idea as you could format and reinstall, I could provide a disk image of Vista SP2 but you would need to send me a private message giving me your email address as the cloud storage I use only allows download links to last for a matter of minutes and I will never post download links publicly.

There are some strings attached here:
1. You must be ready to start downloading it immediately I send the link as it will expire quickly, and you must keep the browser open for as long as it takes.
2. You need a DVD burner (Vista and upwards use DVD's not CD's), blank DVD media and burning software such as the one I use, IMGBurn (free) that creates a bootable disk.
3. Your machine BIOS must be set to boot from CD/DVD first.
4. Please indicate whether it's x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) that you want.
5. Last but not least - you must have your own product key to activate the new installation. That key is somewhere on your machine on a label usually or in the literature that came with it. You can also ascertain it using various utilities available online.
(Maybe you can undo that System Restore somehow?) A phone activation may be required, merely a formality.

If you can't PM me then post your email address here munged as in xyzATabcDOTcom and remember, you have to be ready to download it immediately I send it. So pick a good time allowing for the delays in my picking up that you've posted etc. etc., not later than 9pm EDT.

Last edited:
Need to make sure I understand what to do.You will send the link to my e-mail address.My question is I'm using my laptop which has Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64-bit operating system.I would be making CD/DVD on laptop & then have computer with problem BIOS set to boot from CD/DVD?My PC has Windows Vista Home Premium with a 32-bit operating system.I have product key but not sure how to give it to you.Also not sure if I should use a DVD+R or DVD-R

I don't need the key, you will need that though when you reinstall Windows, never divulge a product key to anyone except a Microsoft person. I understood that it's a Vista image you need, right? As for the media, DVD+R or DVD-R really depends on what your burner is compatible with, the usual one, or should I say the more commonly used format is DVD-R.

You can burn any kind of OS, 32 or 64-bit on a Win 7 machine that has a DVD burner. Just use the right software to do it. I find IMGBurn the best as it's foolproof and will burn a bootable DVD right the first time without any fine tuning.

So is it Vista x86 or x64 you need and what email address do I send it to?

Addendum

By the way - yes that's what you should do. Burn it on the good laptop and then boot from the DVD to format and install the new OS on the PC. Chances are it is set to boot from media first anyway, but if you can check first it would help the process.

Last edited:
I downloaded ImgBurn Specs-version 2.4.4 on my laptop so I could burn a bootable DVD & it said that it wasn't compatible with my laptop,which is Windows 7 Home Premium-64-bit.Starting to get really frustrated with the whole thing!!Don't know what burning software to use?My PC is Windows Vista Home Premium-Vista x 86(32-bit).

Last edited:
Sorry I took so long to respond but the board never sent me a notification. The software and whether or not the disk it is burning is for an x86 or x64 system is irrelevant.

I don't know where you are going for your download but their website is offering version 2.5.8.0 which I am sure is compatible because I have it installed on all my x64 systems from Vista through Windows 7 and 8.

Look at the Mirror links under the red triangle in the middle of this page NOT at the Advertisements

The Official ImgBurn Website

Addendum

Tell me when you are ready for me to provide the download link. Remember I will only do this either by private message, if available to you, or by email, not publicly on this board. The reason for that is simple, if search engines pick up download links the servers often get swamped as a result and I don't want to lose the use of my cloud account.

Last edited:
It's difficult to find a site these days that just gives you what you are looking for, there seem to be always unwelcome 'extras'.

Last edited:
It appears you can use the PM system so I can send you the link that way when you are ready.

Ultimate Boot CD is a quite nice and free one for making bootable CDs. Plus, you can also do it with Linux Live CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back