Maxing out the memory on a HP Media Center PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozen02

I have an HP Media Center PC model a1357c. This computer has been with me for a while now, and the memory is failing slowly but surely, as if megabyte by megabyte. I've looked online and I've found a place where I can purchase an upgrade to 4GB RAM that would max out the memory (I currently have +/-950MB installed a.k.a 1 GB according to the RAM sticks). My question is, is this machine worth the 4GB upgrade? I use it for just about everything as it does pretty much everything I've ever needed. Also, should it be worth upgrading the memory; is there a processor upgrade or a general hardware addition/upgrade that someone would suggest?

In my own experience I've found replacing faulty memory breathes new life into a machine usually. Whether or not it's worth doing ia another matter, I suppose it's worth it if the rest of the machine works, but it has XP Media Centre Edition SP2 installed, am I right? That is no longer supported as you know. Have you run upgrade advisors from Microsoft to see if it can handle Windows 7? If it's not upgradeable then I would abandon the project altogether and consider a new machine. BTW XP would only see between 2 and 3gb of that new memory.
Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back