Memory Latency Timings

Terry60

Telephone Sanitizer (2nd Class)
Staff member
My sister gave me a £30 gift card for Christmas redeemable in a UK chain of electronic/electrical/PC supplier stores, and I've been trying to think of something to get with it.
An email from a similar store this morning had a 2Gb memory offer for the approx amount, but I wondered if anyone has expertise in Latency timings to advise me as to compatibility.
I currently have
Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) Ballistix Memory DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4--12 Unbuffered NON-ECC 800MHz 2.2V SLI
and the offer is for
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) Platinum XTC DDR2 PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 Unbuffered 800Mhz 2.1V.
Any significance to the latency and voltage differences ?

You should be good to go with the OCZ 2GB kit, it's a good match.

The last number doesn't matter much (un-noticeable difference between 15 and 12). As a matter of fact, since you're going to be running it at 2.2V, you should be able to run them all at 4-4-4-12 anyway.

academic anyway CG, I just checked the price on the site I've got the credit with, and they're selling the same kit for £80

talking about 2gb memory i bought a verbatim flash drive like 8 months ago it claims it is 2gbs but on file its actually only 1.3gbs i understand the lapse between real size and advertisement size but its usually 1.8 legal advice? (keep in mind that I'm in a foreign country)

What Guru and Terry are talking about is RAM not flash drives. ( i think)

Plus your device's memory was probably allocated wrong. I would say return it if you could. But if its not that big of a deal than keep it.

Guru may know a way to get the missing memory

"Computer Guru and the Case of the Missing Memory"

i know they are talking about ram but maybe they would be forced to give me there latest nano 500gb flash drive i stress on the word flash

i know they are talking about ram but maybe they would be forced to give me there latest nano 500gb flash drive i stress on the word flash
They would not be forced to give you anything. A GB is 1024MB. You say that it is only 1.8GB in size? Are you sure it is not reserving any part of the flash drive for other purposes? That has been known to happen if you do not turn of readyboost or other applications that use a flash drive. Could be a file for booting or something else.

no I'm sure there's nothing else running it tells me (after formatting) free space: 1.3gb total space: 1.3gb

They would not be forced to give you anything. A GB is 1024MB. You say that it is only 1.8GB in size? Are you sure it is not reserving any part of the flash drive for other purposes? That has been known to happen if you do not turn of readyboost or other applications that use a flash drive. Could be a file for booting or something else.
I own a 2 GB Imation Flash Drive and its 1.9 GB after formatting. I guess normal size would be around that. Aligator seems to have less

What does that have to do with anything?

It's a scientific problem, not a quality issue.
2GB=2,000,000,000 Bytes.
1.9GiB = 1.9*2^30 = 2.04010947×10^9

So you'll see that you actually have an extra 40109470 bytes of space available. You're not being cheated, it's just a different representation.

The company sells you 2GB, Windows reads the storage space in GiB (X*2^something). 1.9GiB > 2GB.

I think what Ali is saying is that his Flash Drive is actually 1.3 GB. Which is less than the normally Windows 1.9 size.

When you're formatting, all you see is the partition that's readable by Windows.
It's possible that there are one or more hidden partitions on the drive. You'll need to use a program like Acronis Disk Director to check if this is the case.

Back