messed up a dual boot system

jds1469

I had Vista running fine on my system, installed on C: then i had a program that needed to run on XP so i just threw in another hard drive and installed onto that, F:. now my boot.ini is all messed up

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsfot Windows XP Professional" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsfot Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER

What would i have to add into this to make vista an option again. if i just unplug that hard drive then it just says that i do not have an operating system

one last thing is that it switched my D: and E: around so im sure my programs will not work on vista anymore. is there an easy fix for this too?

OH one more this is that drive C and F are on IDE cables and D and E are on SATA

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. trying it now. how about the part where the drive letters switched that my program files are on?

Last edited:
I am guessing that Vista is recognized as C:\ within Vista but within XP it is recognized as E:\ right? But within XP the XP Drive is C:\ and within Vista it is E:\ right?

That is normal. The Windows OS likes to use the C:\ drive as the primary drive when installed from a CD/DVD. You wont be able to run the Vista applications from within XP. But you can access the files and work within each OS with no issues. For me i have the same thing. Within XP i have XP as C:\ and Vista is I:\ but within Vista the Vista drive is C:\ and XP is D:\.

Back