Microsoft Allows Free POP3 Access To Hotmail (once again)

Wow. About time!

But after what? I don't think anyone serious about desktop email didn't abandon hotmail and jump to Google.

Exactly, and if you read that the USA isn't included, yet. I still have a hotmail account but I never lost access anyway because it was grandfathered as I had it so long.

I have been doing this with the free accounts for a while. Windows Live Mail and the Outlook Connector do it and have done it for a long time. I wrote up a Guide in the Wiki about this some time last year.

While i do agree that it is about time, there were ways to get around it. It is about time they unlocked this feature. I remember back when it used to be free...then they locked it down. Then unlocked it with certain software...

They just cant make up their mind. Of course i only use Hotmail or Live Emails for specific things. Everything else is GMail. :smile:

It's not POP3 with the WLM & outlook connector stuff though. POP3 means you can use anything on any platform - Linux & Mac included.

This is great news to hear. I have a hotmail account I tried to bring into outlook awhile go to go discover the lockdown on pop3. Thanks.

Note what the article says regarding availability in your area:

POP3 access is now available to Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. Microsoft plans to roll out POP3 access to more parts of the world later this year.

Yeah noticed that, but it'll be great when it finally is available. I normally never check my hotmail box...

Back