Migrating Windows 7 to new SSD

6edo

I have a new SSD and I would like to migrate Windows 7 to this new drive. I did already a disk image of my partition C where now Windows 7 is still located with the bootloader.
Since I want to benefit completely of the new speed of the SSD drive, I would like the bootloader to be on this drive. Do I just need to copy the image on the SSD and then activate the drive and changing the boot order on bios? I am doubiting because actually on the image the entry will be:
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
But the new drive won't be C anymore... because I won't take away the old drives...
Should I just add a second entry on the bootloader before I do the disk image of C with the new drive (trying to find out wich letter will be assigned)? For example:
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Or should I follow the procedure you have written in tips and tricks?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi edo, welcome to NST.
The cloned OS should still be C:
Windows disk letters are not "real", they're just registry entries in the running system. The SSD system doesn't have to see your old OS partition as C: just because it sees itself that way.
Depending on what software you used to clone the partition, you might need to "startup repair" the clone, since the BCD uses UIDs to locate partitions, and the cloned UID might no longer match the real device.

Thank you Terry! I will try it out!
But I wonder what happen if I leave the BCD in the old drive and add a second entry? In this case, I suppose I should write the right drive otherwise there would be a conflict with 2 C:\, shouldn't I?

Have a Nice Christmas!

Back