Mirrored Vista Partitions for Win 7 Testing

Since the new HDD is repaired now, why don't you put it 1st in the BIOS and boot from it, adding entries for the systems on the original disk if you want to.
When your test is finished, you can revert the BIOS.

Some progress. Took another stab at using Repair with just the one disk. I believe that system is now booting reasonably. A bunch of paths are wrong for that system (e.g., the Desktop is still from C:\users, but key settings like WINDIR are now showing as L:\windows when booted back in the multidisk environment). This surprised me, I thought the system would switch C: and L:, but they are still definitely lettered the same (verified via label files I created). I hope this doesn't create confusion when I try to do the Windows 7 update test on the L: system -- I don't want to blow away the MBR or anything else associated with the C: Vista system.

Letters on partitions are just figments of the imagination of the running system (entries in its registry). They're nothing to do with the physical disk.
What one system thinks all of the partitions are called has no effect on what any other system thinks they're called when it's running.
There are no letters in the BCD, just UIDs. What EasyBCD displays is a translation of the UID into the disk letter as seen by the system that EasyBCD is running on.
Your two systems, being clones should each see themselves as C: and the other as notC:
If your clone is confused about what its own letter is, that could be a problem that needs to be fixed

Last edited:
Back