More than one boot loader...?

SGO

I installed Ubuntu along side of Win7 and Ubuntu created a dual-boot menu from which to boot with Ubuntu as default. That all works fine except that I believe it is the reason SP1 will not install as well as some other "updates." I tried EasyBCD and viewed what I thought was the boot menu. I made sure Win7 was the first boot choice with Ubuntu as the second. Now when I boot I have Win7 as the default, select it and press enter only to go to that original boot menu. I'm guessing the second, or Ubuntu created boot menu was created with Grub and even though I created a new one with EasyBCD, the second one still runs. How do I go about removing the second one leaving only the EasyBCD created menu?

Thanks.

Great! I got that done on my laptop and it works perfectly. However, my desktop did not fare as well. Besides the Grub menu there was the first choice of Win7 or Macrium Backup. When I ran EasyBCD and set up the 3 boot items in order of: Win7, Ubuntu, Macrium. Choosing Win7 at boot time works as it should. Choosing Macrium at boot time works as it should. However, when I choose Ubuntu at boot time brings up this screen. 20121024_181014[1].jpg
What's causing this and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

And this entry was created w/ v2.2?
Delete it and re-create, I guess.
What is "it" I'm supposed to delete. The stuff on the screen was the result of trying to boot into Ubuntu from the EasyBCD menu choice. I have removed and reinserted the boot option in EasyBCD many times with the same result.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Is this an EFI machine?
I don't think so. It is a couple year old Dell Studio XPS. Originally shipped with VISTA installed w/free upgrade to Win7 HP when it came out. It's been running trouble free dual-booting with Ubuntu from the Grub menu. Since I was not able to install SP1 I was trying to fix that without having to go through the agonizing process of running the "Upgrade" option. I did that on my laptop. It fixed the non-installing SP1 problem, but then I had to update and update and update for hours. Did I mention updating??? :x I thought if I could change the dual-boot back to stock booting on my desktop that SP1 would install and then all I would have to do is reset the dual-boot. So far that idea hasn't worked out, but I'm sure learning about the "boot" subject.

I've been all over the map on this thing from not being able to boot to booting from a USB recovery to getting back my grub menu at one point to finally getting back to straight booting right into Windows. I thought at that point I would be able to add Ubuntu and be done. I'm getting worn out rebooting again and again. I need some help, please....

I can boot into SuperGrub2 and select boot from a grub.cfg and get the Grub purple menu I used to and select Ubuntu and I'm up and running. In fact I'm running my Ubuntu 12.04 right now. When I select Ubuntu from the boot menu EasyBCD produces I get an error message telling me to reboot.20121024_181014.jpg
I've deleted everything, recreated everything and I'm still at the same problem. How can I get EasyBCD to select the grub boot menu?

Back