Move NST to different drive?

nexus77

Hi guys! After reading through the forums, I sort of randomly managed to stumble my way into getting my triple boot system working with 2 xp OS's and one Win7 OS. Unfortunately, I have figure out that somehow Easy BSD has put the NTS folder on a completely different drive. I want to be able to image each os individually so that they can be resotred individually if needed. As it is, all three OS's are dependent on the NTS folder on a different physical drive. How can I move all necessary boot info to the one physical drive that contains my 3 OS's? Thank you!

You can't do this with EasyBCD, you'll have to copy the NST folder over and manually change the osdevice with bcdedit.

The MS boot architecture hinges on the design philosophy that all boot information for every multi-booted Windows OS resides on the "system" partition (Disk Management flag).
If you want to make a configuration where each copy of Windows contains all of its own boot information, then you can't use any Windows boot manager as the controlling boot manager.
You can achieve it with a third-party boot manager and a dedicated boot partition chaining to each of the independent Windows boot managers in their respective partitions. (similar to this).
If your boot information is on a different HDD to all of your OSs, then you probably have the BIOS boot sequence set to boot from the wrong HDD.
Check Disk Management
Its flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

Back