move os x install to a different partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I've been given (lucky me!) a netbook with EasyBCD installed to boot Windows 7 Starter or Mac Snow Leopard. It all works well but I'm concerned that performance on the OS X side may be slow because most of its partition is full, even after clearing out non-essentials.

W7 is on an NTFS partition (identified under W7 as the C drive), OS X on an HFS+ one, but there's also a third and larger Fat32 partition (identified under W7 as the D drive) shared between the OSs. I don't need to share files between the OSs so am wondering if & how I might move the OS X onto this shared partition. E.g.: presumably the Fat32 partition would need to be re-formatted as HFS+ first, does EasyBCD have this option?

This may be a simple operation in EasyBCD but I'm a total newbie and can't seem to find documentation on how to do this. I'm pretty good with Macs but have little experience with PCs. Any help would be very appreciated,

:smile: Sandra

EasyBCD doesn't format anything. It is merely a way for people to use a graphical interface with the Windows BCD boot loader. So you will have to go search for a way to move the OS X. As stated in our Wiki in regards to OS X:

NeoSmart Technologies does not provide any instructions whatsoever on getting OS X installed. EasyBCD only boots into OS X, nothing more, nothing less.

Hope you can figure it out and get it to work.

Maybe I should have called this "will easyBCD advanced settings' help me move my OS?"

Thanks very much Mak 2.0 for clearing up the formatting question. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I wanted help installing OS X - formatting a partition and installing a fresh OS is well within my comfort zone.

What I do want to do is actually move the OS install I already have with the programs I've installed, Terminal tweaks etc. rather than starting all over again. I'm encouraged by the existence in EasyBCD of the advanced settings panel which looks like it would do what I want. But then the warnings that come with this make me afraid of messing up the tweaked install I have.

So I guess I should be asking ''can I use easyBCD advanced settings to move my OS X to a freshly formatted partition?"

All good things,

S

Attachments

• 4782180201_0544bd9f65.jpg
    4782180201_0544bd9f65.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1
I fully know and understand what you want to do. But the fact still remains, we do not do support for OS X on a PC. The simple fact is this, unless you have the legitimate Dev Preview kit with the official OS X x86 DVD, then you are in violation of Apple's Terms of Use and License Agreement.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.
This License does not allow the Apple
Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
computers at the same time.

This information can be found on Apple's website located here. For specific items such as OS X Snow Leopard that can be found here in PDF format. It is found here for OS X Server.

Therefor, we here at NeoSmart do not do any support for OS X on a PC. You will have to go elsewhere to find out how to image the drive and put the install on another partition.

To answer your part, no you cant use EasyBCD to do this. Again, EasyBCD is nothing more than a graphical interface for the BCD Edit of Windows. It does nothing with formatting, partitions or anything other than creating a boot entry for an already installed OS.

Oh wow, that's a whole other aspect I wasn't aware of! From what you write it looks like need to uninstall OS X from my new netbook. Thanks very much for the detailed information.

x S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back