Moving Bootmgr

whs

If I want to move the bootmgr with BCD Backup/Repair and this bootmgr is on a different physical disk (as often happens with a Win7 install if the disk to which I install is not on Sata port0), does EasyBCD find that bootmgr and move it to C:\.

Thanks for the answer. I guess the answer is implied in the quote below. Sorry, but I never read that far. And I even wrote a tutorial about it - LOL. I just was not sure how EasyBCD would find the active partition on another drive.

If the partition which is to take over control of the boot is on a different HDD from the current boot partition, you will also need to change your BIOS to put the new drive before the old one in the boot sequence, otherwise the old (untouched) boot files will continue to be in control. This obviously does not apply if the two partitions share a HDD. The switch of the "active" status will do everything needed in that case

Your tutorial respondent thought it would be better if EasyBCD didn't have to be installed.
It's completely portable.
You can install it on a flashdrive and run it where you like (provided .NET 2.0 SP1 exists).
The only registry entry on the installing system is the uninstall info to make updating builds simpler.
I install each new build with my W7 "production" system, but into my XP apps partition, from where it's accessed by shortcuts from the Vista and W8 desktops to avoid multiple installs for each build.

That is interesting. How did you get it on the stick. I was looking to get it on a WinPE stick, but that seems to be quite difficult because of the Net2 dependency. Some cookbook guidance would be very appreciated. Maybe Mahmoud could make a standard offering of it. I am sure it would sell. There are so many cases where people have BCD trouble and their system came to a sceeching halt.

Not a bootable stick.
Just a removable drive on any Windows OS.
You can place it where you like, but you must execute it from a booted Windows OS with .NET 2

Thanks Terry. That is not going to work if the system is dead. And not everybody has .Net2 on their system. So I think that version is of limited applicability. A WinPE would be more flexible. I know one guy who has managed to get it on a WinPE stick. But he said it was a struggle. Maybe I get a copy from him.

If I want to move the bootmgr with BCD Backup/Repair and this bootmgr is on a different physical disk (as often happens with a Win7 install if the disk to which I install is not on Sata port0), does EasyBCD find that bootmgr and move it to C:\.
Same situation....

It's really scary how powerful EasyBCD is... My problem right now is the fact that I cannot boot into my new SSD which contains the operating system but apparently does NOT the boot manager. The bootMGR is on a five-year-old hard drive and I don't know how to move the boot manager to the operating system SSD….I read here don't move...COPY

COPYING/Moving the bootMGR to the boot SSD would would solve a two year old problem of relying on the ancient HDD which is apparently the ONLY HDD of the six that contains the sole boot manager, thus MUST be the first drive to boot.

is EasyBCD able to copy the BootMGR...I must have missed that capability...I do have Easus Partition Manager Pro, but again, I see no facility there either

Thanks in advance for your speedy reply.

Chas

Back