Moving System partition without cloning.

Vortch

I have a 1Tb RAID with 4 partitions, 2 of which are system (Win 7 x86 + x64), this is too large a drive to clone to a new SSD.
Using Acronis Backup and Recovery 10, I made a partition backup of the x64 volume and restored it without the MBR to the SSD.
I moved the MBR to the new SSD with EasyBCD (EasyBCD | BCD Install/Repair | Change Boot Drive), and added a new entry for the SSD.
I changed the Volume ID for the RAID partition, and assigned the old RAID Volume ID to the SSD, but it blue screens on startup.
The x86 boot entry works fine.
The old setting in the MBR still boots to the x64 partition on the RAID, but many of my software licences are invalidated......sigh...but I only intend to keep one x64 copy anyway.
I'm thinking that the partition start address is causing the BSOD and I don't know of a way to fix that, perhaps "startup repair" from the installation DVD?
Or am I missing something?

It all depends on what the BSOD is. I would try assigning the SSD a wholly new VolumeID, and not the one recycled from the RAID.

Thanks for your quick reply!
After some reflection, I wondered about Acronis, and so I rebooted from the Acronis Restore DVD and reapplied the partition image, now it boots to the x64 image on the SSD without any problems! It also will boot to the x64 partition on the RAID with no trouble...huh. They both have the same Volume ID - is this a cause for concern, what could it affect? I'm just wondering, as I'll be dumping it anyway.
The x86 partition on the RAID blue screened on my first try to boot it, but I just re-added the entry in EasyBCD and deleted the first entry for it. Now it's fine.
The entry I have for Ubuntu, however, is not booting to the GRUB loader like it used to. This is something I guess I have to look into, can you point me to the right thread?
EasyBCD is truly excellent, you have my congratulations, admiration, and respect.
Thanks very much for your time and trouble.

Windows uses it to determine which partition to boot into, what drive letter should be assigned to a partition, and more.

And, yes, that's the right guide :smile:

I have both Windows 7 images working so I'm going to leave the duplicate Volume ID's for now, I'll change the 'old' one when I delete the OS on that partition.

I could not get EasyBCD to bring me to the GRUB screen on my F: drive (Drive #6), there seems to be no way to do what I did with this procedure;

From an administrator command prompt,

C:\>bcdedit /create /d "Ubuntu10" /application bootsector
The entry {2081aef1-202b-11e0-a88d-001e8c0b08ff} was successfully created.

C:\>bcdedit /set {2081aef1-202b-11e0-a88d-001e8c0b08ff} device partition=F
:
The operation completed successfully.

C:\>bcdedit /set {2081aef1-202b-11e0-a88d-001e8c0b08ff} path \ubuntu\winbo
ot\wubildr.mbr

C:\>bcdedit /displayorder {2081aef1-202b-11e0-a88d-001e8c0b08ff} /addlast

This created an entry which brought me to the GRUB loader.
Could this have been achieved with EasyBCD?

The wubi is broken, however (because of the new hardware?) and now I have to find the UID and device names for the drive (F in Ubuntu. It is not finding root.disk and seems to be trying to boot from the Ubuntu installation on my USB drive. Which I find Odd as these 2 installs are completely separate.

Thanks again for your time and trouble, Mr. Guru, I sing praises to your NAME.

Last edited:
You're moste welcome. Good luck with Wubi.
I know there's a script available on UbuntuForums.org that will dump out a list of UUIDs and other info.

Not directly.

You can use EasyBCD to add a Wubi entry, what that will do is chainload Wubi's own menu file and run it.

But now the contents of your Wubi menu are invalid, and as such, that won't work.

Back