Moving Win7 to SSD in Dual Boot System

Thanks for that.
Makes absolute sense.
I modify the power settings for maximum "greenness" on all my OSs, and that explains why this happened once, before I'd got round to making my customizations.
That's obviously one of the reasons why "fast boot" has to go back to square one if you choose an alternate OS from its menu, and why I got hit.
I don't allow W8 to do the multi-booting. I control it all through grub4dos, and on that first use of W8 it left itself suspended without properly shutting down, crippling everything else.
I think the problem is MS's usual parochial attitude, failing to acknowledge the possibility of "other life" existing outside the Universe of Redmond. In the case of W8 this has intensified rather than loosened. They have made the corporate decision that W8 is it, and already are making noises that W7 is no longer persona grata and will be allowed to wither and die with little more than security fixes in the future.
With that in mind, they have not even bothered to make it play nicely with their own legacy software, let alone anyone else's.
It's essentially a stand alone system, and perhaps best left out of a multi-boot environment, and used only on the adolescent's toys it's really designed for.
It belongs in the world of tweeting your every move, uploading that hilarious picture of a dog weeing for universal consumption, squinting at a widescreen movie on a 3" screen whilst announcing to everyone within earshot "I'm on the train, watching Star Wars" for the benefit of an unseen third party, who could easily have been told when actually seen one minute later.
It seems that MS have perceived the future as i-shaped and have decided to slug it out with Apple for the 18-30 market, even at the cost of the total abandonment of their core constituency.
Rant over.

Terry, happy holidays. perhaps you can help with a new problem.
Everything has worked for weeks. However, now when I boot WIN8 it fails with a driver signature verification failure \windows\system32\winload.exe. Using repair from teh win8 DVd does not find an error.

Setup:

Win7 on SSD; Win7 on HDD and Win8 on same HDD

When I boot the BIOS into the SSD, Boot menu shows all 3 OS's (using EasyBCD) and I can boot into all of them including Win8. Win7 SSD is boot drive.

When I point the BIOS at the HDD and boot (with Win7 HDD as the boot drive) the menu shows all 3 OS's. I can boot into either Win7, but not win8. Fails with the driver error. Pressing F8 to bypass driver enforcement also fails immediately.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Brian

The Inv dig sig problem is one of using the wrong version of bootmgr.
It's discussed in the link at the end of post #35

Thanks. As we discussed previously, I have removed the ability of W8 to fast boot. It boots now like previous OS's. I had this setup working just fine and there is no 'dirty bit' problem any longer. I was booting W8 from the WIn7 HDD Bootmgr, just as it is booting from the Win7 SSD bootMGR just fine. So if ok from the SSD, why not the HDD? Then it went south recently. I hadn't booted win8 for 10 days or so. Win8 is still a toy and an experiemnt to me and I am reluctant to become dependent on it. I could use EasyBCD to make Win8 the system drive, but I am afraid if it goes wrong I wont be able to get back to WIn7 HDD to fix it again. As I say, it was working and post #35 was not needed. The graphical boot mgr is gone. Win8 was installed with win7 visible on the same HDD.
winload.exe on the Win7 SSD and the Win7 HDD are identical but not the same as the win8 winload. THE SSD win7 bootmgr boots into win8 fine as I said.
Can I repair Win7 HDD with the WIN7 dvd? Or?..

Addendum

Terry, thanks for those links. After reading all those posts and their links, I realized the problem was not with winload.exe, but with Bootmgr
My SSD bootmgr was the win8 bootmgr, but the Win7 HDD version was the Win7 version. I know it was correct a few days ago as it worked, but somehow it regressed.
I replaced it, and all now works again.
Many thanks
Brian

Disk ID - Help wanted with a different issue

Terry, hopefully you are still monitoring this forum.
I have a different issue. A friend has Windows 7 Pro. His hard drive was failing. I took an image with Acronis, installed a new HD and restored the image.
All was great for 30 days and now Windows says it is not genuine.
There are tons of articles about this on Google. Apparently the disk id is used for the fingerprint and it has changed. (I never had this problem when I replaced my HD) and MGADiag says there are 'Tampered files' and Windows Update will not run. Although there are hundreds of posts. no really good solutions. Many end up with a reinstall which I want to avoid like the plague.
Windows says it is activated, but MGAdiag shows the issue. Apparently MS thinks this is a way to avoid licensing by cloning.
I have the old HD. Do you know of anyway to make the new HD have the same ID as the old one? It would solve the issue.
Many thanks
Brian

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Terry, hopefully you are still monitoring this forum.

I have the old HD. Do you know of anyway to make the new HD have the same ID as the old one? It would solve the issue.

Actually, it seems as though I can use DiskPart to read the Id of the old drive (with UNIQUEID), and then restore the old ID to the new drive with the same command.
I do not know if that will screw up the registry.
I found this article:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2011/11/08/3463572.aspx

If I simply change the diskid's and reboot, have I caused a registry issue as it now sees the new drive. Possibly the old drive is still there?
I guess I can always use Diskpart to put the new drive's ID back .. if it boots.

Did you reactivate after cloning ?
Is this just that you've passed the 30 days "free trial" and it's expecting activation or it will shut you down ?
I shuffled a quad boot of XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu onto new HDDs and the only thing that gave a problem was Ubuntu (which I eventually had to reinstall, though that was no real problem since it was pure vanilla anyway)
All the Windows were fine with being moved, but they all required re-activation, which is just a formality.
Re-activating registers the "new" copy as genuine and relegates the old to "pirate" so you can't continue to use both.

Back