MS Surface Pro 3: error 0xc0000001 and Easy Recovery Essentials USB stick

Chil Plem

Hi,
I have now made several more attempts, but I am not getting anywhere.

I have a MS Surface Pro 3 with the error message: 0xc0000001
I have read 0xc0000001: Fix for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 an tried all suggested solutions, but nothing did help.

So I invested the 20€ and bought the Easy Recovery Essentials, created a bootable USB stick and tried to boot with it.
But the Surface does not boot from this stick. Even though I switched off the Secure Boot and TPM in the BIOS and prioritized the boot from USB.
Cross-check: With the MS Recovery USB stick it will boot, with the Easy Recovery Essentials USB stick it will not.

In order to use the exclusion procedure (whether the Easy Recovery Essentials USB Stick was created correctly), I tried the Easy Recovery Essentials USB Stick with my 2nd Surface Pro 3 and there it seems to boot, but it turns out that after a long wait, the Surface calls up the Bitlocker recovery, I can enter the key there and then only restart. This again does not lead to booting the Easy Recovery Essentials USB stick.

Summarized:
  • the broken Surface won't boot from Easy Recovery Essentials USB Flash Drive
  • the intact Surface boots from the Easy Recovery Essentials USB stick, but only lands in the Bitlocker recovery screen

So I guess that I didn't proceed correctly and at least with the intact surface of the bitlocker I'm not able to use the Easy Recovery Essentials USB Flash Drive?
Maybe you can help me with that? Did I do something wrong? Does the Bitlocker prevent me from using the Easy Recovery Essentials USB Flash Drive?
And what does it mean that the broken surface does not recognize the Easy Recovery Essentials USB Flash Drive?

Thanks and best regards in advance

Back