Multi Boot

Maybe when/if I get a new computer (that won't be a mac; hmm slim chance). vista is an elephant which I don't want on my puter.
Thank you!

I'm really sorry it had to end like that, in the meanwhile I'll continue to see what it is about EasyBCD that wouldn't let it boot Mac on your System.....

:dead:

Hi guys, I'm really a noob here and I'm having a little issue. I use Vista as my main OS. I have 2 HDDs C: &(D:, E:smile:, note that my second HDD has a partition. Here is my history:

Vista boots just fine, I just finished installing OSX 10.4.7 on my E: partition. I opened BCD and added the entries to boot Mac OSX on E: of course the boot files are suppose to be on C: ,,, When I try to boot into Mac OSX there is no Joe, I can't. I checked the NTS folder in C: and it is empty. I know I'm suppose to copy the boot OSX boot files into it but I can't access the MacOSx partition from within Vista as you guys know. How can I get my MacOSX to boot up?

Here is my boot config

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader TimeOut: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: NST Mac OS X
BCD ID: {bb45d46c-6d2a-11db-9bfc-00132094d8d3}
Drive: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr
Windows Directory:

Thanks in advanced

Cheers Yoni

Hi Yoni!

First off, Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

OK, it might just be that you can't view the files for booting Mac OS X (they're hidden). Try to run this command from Vista:

Start -> Run
C:\NST\nst_mac.mbr
<Enter>

What happens? Do you get an error message? Or does EasyBCD turn on?

Computer Guru said:
Hi Yoni!

First off, Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

OK, it might just be that you can't view the files for booting Mac OS X (they're hidden). Try to run this command from Vista:

Start -> Run
C:\NST\nst_mac.mbr
<Enter>

What happens? Do you get an error message? Or does EasyBCD turn on?

Hey thanks for your replay...

EasyBCD pops-up when I run the command...

Any ideas?

Thanks

OK, what bootloader does your PC currently use?

AS in, when you first turn on your computer, which boot menu shows up?
What are the options in that boot menu?

Also, what version of OS X do you have installed?

Computer Guru said:
OK, what bootloader does your PC currently use?

AS in, when you first turn on your computer, which boot menu shows up?
What are the options in that boot menu?

Also, what version of OS X do you have installed?
Hi,

Thanks again for your replay guys. I have Vista bootloader since Vista is the only OS currently running.

When I turn on my PC it comes up as : Windows Vista and NTS MacOSX

I installed OSX 10.4.7

Hope this help

OK, thanks.

Now, in greater detail please, when you select "NST Mac OS X" what exactly happens? Message for message, screen for screen.

Computer Guru said:
OK, thanks.

Now, in greater detail please, when you select "NST Mac OS X" what exactly happens? Message for message, screen for screen.

Alright guys, thanks for your help... I forgot to replay earlier, I just found out what the problem was. EasyBCD did the trick and worked as it was suppose to, for some reasons I figured out that to be able to boot OSX you need to have it installed in the first partition of your Hard Drive... For future references here is my system conf...

Hard Drive 1: System, Boot, Active Primary Partition (Windows Vista 5840)

Hard Drive 2: Primary Partition (Mac OS X) ... Partition 2 (Data)

Apparently the problem was MAC OSX not being seen in the Second Partition of my second Hard Drive even when it was set as a Primary Partition...

Thanks guys for your help and for those guys that say EasyBCD don't work, I recommend them to take a look at their system configuration before posting... EasyBCD DOES DO WONDERS :wink:

Working with Vista bootloader was the best thing that could ever happened to any of us. I have wiped out Mac OSX 2 times already and re-installed it from scratch, the bootloader is not even touched as you may know since it is located on the Active partition (Vista in this case)... So I don't even have to configure the bootloader twice... lol... Once OSX finishes installing and the PC reboots the 2 options to select OSX or Vista are always there just select my OSX option and BINGO!!! I'm booting straight into my OSX World!

This application is such a nice piece of Art. Great job guys, Keep it up...

That might be true for easybcd to detect osx. I have mac osx installed in a primary second partition on my laptop (first primary partition is xp) and osx boots just fine as default OS. To boot xp i only have to press F8 at boot and choose xp from teh darwin menu. Of course I don't have vista on my pc.

Actually, it's a Darwin that does the detecting...
Which gives me an idea for systems that didn't work.... I'll have to get back to you on that though.

Back