Multiboot with Grub 2

I've got an Asus laptop which came with Windows 7 home premium. I've re-partitioned so that the windows partition is roughly 150 gig, I've got a roughly 400 gig data partition, and two partitions of 50 gig each for Pinguy and Backtrack, (all in an extended partition). I've always relied on Easy BCD for multibooting setups in the past but I'm having an issue with these two Grub 2 bearing Distros. When I select Grub 2 on the drop down in Windows the only Os which is detected is pinguy, sequentially the first of the two. How do I get Easy BCD to Detect the Backtrack partition? I've seen the recommendations in other threads to try the new beta, how bleeding edge is this beta? How reliable?

Hi everybody,

I've got exactly the same problem with W7 boot on MBR + Debian 6 Grub2 in /boot + Ubuntu 11.10 Grub2 in /boot + BT5R2 Grub2 in /boot.

A solution is to select Grub Legacy on the drop down and then select the right /dev in the other drop down. You'll get a "little" error msg (too fast to read) then the good grub menu. Not pretty solution but functional.
Bye

Hi everybody,

I've got exactly the same problem with W7 boot on MBR + Debian 6 Grub2 in /boot + Ubuntu 11.10 Grub2 in /boot + BT5R2 Grub2 in /boot.

A solution is to select Grub Legacy on the drop down and then select the right /dev in the other drop down. You'll get a "little" error msg (too fast to read) then the good grub menu. Not pretty solution but functional.
Bye

Tried that, for whatever reason it didn't work for me. I just got a blinking cursor. I also tried the version 2.2 release 170, I've never been very comfortable using the most recent beta release of much of anything. That resulted in the same behaviour with the two linux partitions as before. Wound up finding a solution in what I already had available. I ran boot-repair on Pinguy, re-installing its version of grub to sda. It found al of the oses on the machine. I still need to edit grub so that Windows 7 is the default, but other than that I'm pretty happy. I apologize, I know we're looking for a solution with Easy BCD, but this works for me. Moderators please feel free to close this, I don't see that option anywhere.

Info for Boot-Repair here....

Boot-Repair - Community Ubuntu Documentation

May work on Debian and BT5 R2 as well.

Last edited:
I tried 2.2 r173 which resulted in the same behaviour for me too.
If I understand what you wrote : you installed GRUB in MBR ? Of course it is working but it should be harder when you'll have services packs and other kernel update on windows. The best practice is to separate : Windows loader in MBR chaining GRUB in /boot(s).
Another easy solution to repair boot (as I did) is to write MBR for W7 with EasyBCD and to uninstall/reinstall GRUB on Linux ; you'll have the choice to choose where to put it.

So then have easybcd point to one linux partition and then use that one partition to point at the other partitions? So use one menu to point at another menu? I know it would work but I'd like to see a little more simplicity. I'll give it a try if I have any problems with Windows. In the first scenario, where is /boot located?

In my config, I made, under linux install, one logical partition for each /boot then one LVM containing the others partitions ( /, /home). If I add an OS, I execute "update-grub" under every Linux to automatically update the grub config file.

Thank you guys for the discussion! Hinted by christopher73's post, I figured out the solution which is exactly as MaGrandMereChinoise mentioned.

In my case I have W7 boot on MBR, then Debian 6 Grub2 and Ubuntu 12.04 Grub2 installed consequently. Then I realized I couldn't boot into Ubuntu, regardless how I configured the easybcd. (I tried the latest 2.2 which let you designate the partition to boot from for each OS but it won't work in the double-grub2 case.)

The solution is just as simple as rerun the "update-grub" in my Debian (you can run 30_os-prober to check if other OSs could be seen from current Linux), which in turn updated /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Let the easybcd to deal with W7 vs. Debian, then in Debian's grub2 menu I can choose to go with Ubuntu.

Back