Multiple copies of Windows7 on boot screen

Matt Watson

I have a dual boot set up on my laptop, Windows 7 and Window 10, with Windows7 as the default. All was good then Windows10 did an update and after the reboot Windows 10 became the default. I went into EasyBCD and changed it back to Windows7 as the default but now the boot screen shows two copies of Windows7 (and, of course, the one of Windows 10). Any idea how I get rid of the duplicate Win7? I have attached pics that show the boot screen and what I see now when I look at EasyBCDs settings. Thanks.

boot screen.jpg EasyBCD overview.jpg EasyBCD detailed.jpg
boot screen.jpg

I just solved a similar problem, namely 2 menu entries for one Windows 8.1 installation.
This occurred after a Windows 10 update overrode the Windows 8.1 boot priority
which had been established years prior using EasyBCD 2.3.
This was solved yesterday by installing EasyBCD 2.4 on the Windows 10 installation
and moving the Windows 8.1 entry to the top and making it the default.

EasyBCD should probably always be run from the newest Windows version,
which can recognize older versions, while the reverse is not true

@Oristo EasyBCD can be run from anywhere convenient (it's not the boot manager, but a tool for maintenance of the bootmgr's BCD store).
It's the MS bootmgr which must always be the latest version to be backward compatible with earlier boot loaders (winload)
@Matt make sure that EasyBCD is using the "live" BCD (File > Use System BCD) and that you're not overriding its default behaviour of finding the correct BCD by specifying something in the (Tools > "automatically load ...") field.
What's flagged "system" in Disk Management ?
If it's W10, then you're definitely looking at the wrong BCD (your screenshot shows bootmgr on W7)

Back