NavyChief Help Please

Hey Jake,

I am at the point of needing to take my system to someone who know's more than I do about trying any more fixes. I appreciate your help, but if I attempt any more, I will only manage to make things worse.

Pete

Hey Jake,

I am at the point of needing to take my system to someone who know's more than I do about trying any more fixes. I appreciate your help, but if I attempt any more, I will only manage to make things worse.

Pete

Suit yourself. I'm deeply sorry you decided to give up, especially seeing as your problem was nearly fixed, but I understand how you feel. :wink: Sometimes its better to just get a certified computer tech to work on it, who will have physical access to the computer. There's a limit to what one can do on a problem remotely, without seeing firsthand what's going on. BTW, did you ever try putting the XP Media drive first in the boot sequence in the BIOS? It is unclear after rereading the posts whether or not you ever followed Terry's instructions in Post #30...

Anytime you want to pick this back up, let me know. I will gladly offer further assistance. :smile:

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Just wanted to give y'all an update on things.

I drove up to Union City, TN to see my friend who helped me build my system over three years ago. Took us two days of trial/error, but I am now able to boot into Vista again. Am also able to boot into my three XP drives, but only if the Vista drive is disonnected. If all drives are connected, it boots automatically into Vista, period.

Pete

Use EasyBCD 2.0 to add a new XP (ntldr) entry into Vista's bootmgr. For your case I'd call the entry "ntldr" or "Earlier versions of Windows" since you got more than one XP install. This should also auto-config the boot.ini to point to the right places. That way, you don't need to connect/disconnect drives everytime you want to boot into something...

Just wanted to give y'all an update on things.

I drove up to Union City, TN to see my friend who helped me build my system over three years ago. Took us two days of trial/error, but I am now able to boot into Vista again. Am also able to boot into my three XP drives, but only if the Vista drive is disonnected. If all drives are connected, it boots automatically into Vista, period.

Pete

Ahh...still a trouble with incorrect drive order in the BIOS, I see. :wink: You really should put your CD/DVD drive first in the boot sequence, followed by your "XP Media" drive, and then run Startup Repair on your Vista DVD to solve that problem, so Vista can boot off of that drive. And then you can simply add an entry to boot XP to the Vista boot menu, with the XP boot files in the root of that drive, and use multiple entries in your boot.ini file to boot into any of your XPs.

Jake

EDIT: 2.0 Beta of EasyBCD, like Justin said, should take care of the boot.ini part...
You should just make sure you got the "ntldr" and "ntdetect" files in the root of your "system" partition, which last time I checked was your "XP Media" partition.

Last edited:
Back