Need help re-dualbooting after reformating Vista

MacFreak

Hello everybody, my name is MacFreak. I just registered so that I could post in this forum. I have an interesting problem. Quite some time ago, I successfully dual-booted XP and Vista with Vista pre-installed. I decided that I wanted to reformat Vista lately, so I did. I used a recovery partition on my computer to restore the C drive to its factory default condition. This of course changed my boot loader configuration. I no longer had the option to boot back into XP. Therefore, I downloaded EasyBCD again to simply add an entry for booting into XP, like I did before. But when I restarted my computer and selected XP, the computer just restarted. I am not sure why it did this. EasyBCD says that the bootloader path for the XP entry is \NTLDR. I DO have the ntldr file in the root of the XP partition, so I don't think that is the problem. And just so you know, the partition which I installed XP on is drive A. So once I added an entry for XP, I went to change settings, and changed the drive for the XP entry to drive A. But when I click "View Settings" it says "Drive: \Device\HarddiskVolume3" under the XP entry. It doesn't say Drive: A:\ Do you guys have any idea what is wrong or how I could fix it? If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you need some more information, just ask. Thanks for your time. MacFreak

Hi MacFreak, Welcome to NST.
The XP boot files need to be in the root of the "active" partition, which is presumably your Vista partition. Copy them from XP to Vista root and try again.

Back